Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a pic yet, but when we got home last night, my new fence was all finished. This means I now have a pretty big enclosed space in the yard where Cobber can run and play without being on-leash. We had a great "get the ball!" session, and then he just started running like "I'm free! I'm free!" all over -- it was wonderful to watch.

Now I have to deal with my less-than-thrilled neighbors. I thought I had gotten everyone's buy-in and permission from the HOA board. But apparently I didn't mention exactly where the gates were going to be to the neighbor right next door, so he's not happy. And I saw him and the guy across the street standing in front of my house, talking and waving their arms around (towards my new fence)... I figured they might be saying how wonderful it is, but probably not.:rolleyes:

But I'm happy and Cobber's thrilled. And that's what it's all about!

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Awesome! I can't wait until our fence is put in :)

What's wrong with your gates? If it's on your property, why should it matter?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's wrong with your gates? If it's on your property, why should it matter?
That's sort of my thinking, but apparently it matters for some reason. I didn't see him to talk with him about it last night, the installation guys just gave me a warning that he'd been by to complain while I was at work. I'm hoping to chat with him this evening or this weekend and find out what's up. There shouldn't be any problems, and it's all on my land, nothing overflowed onto his property.

But I've discovered people can be upset just because something's different. Like the guy across the street. Yes, he now sees a part of my fence every time he walks out of his front door, but I think the fence looks beautiful and actually complements the color of my house (white fence next to very pale blue siding). And, to be honest, if he wants to put up a fence around his yard tomorrow that I'd see every time I walked outside, that'd be fine! People just like to be bothered :)

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Yay for the fence!:D

And sorry for the trouble with your neighbor!:(
Hope you get it worked out pretty easily!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
If you haven't broken any by-laws, don't worry about your neighbors. Some people are just busy-bodies and wait around to find something to pounce on, like vultures. I wish they would concern themselves with their own business and leave others alone. They'll soon find something else to yap about.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
There's a LOT of bylaws regarding fencing-especially in close quarters, where neighbors share fences. I'm sure they'll just need some time to adjust and it'll go smoothly, just pretend to be apologetic for whatever they end up complaining about ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HOA again? Did you get the approvals?
Yes, I made sure I got everything submitted and signed off on per the HOA rule book. Even then, asking my neighbor about the fence (and getting his blessing) was extra on my part, not necessary. So that's why I'm really surprised that he expressed displeasure to the installation guys yesterday. But I'm sure we'll work it out - he's a pretty nice guy and has told me that if he wants to put something in, he just does it and doesn't get the HOA's permission or worry about it. So I expect he'll be okay with my new fence once he's used to it being there.

For one thing, the fence now hides my side patio, which he's always had a clear view of from his patio. Since I'm sort of messy when it comes to leaving dog toys lying around, I would think he'd be thrilled not to have that view any longer :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts