Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking to add another dog to my pack :)
I am planning on getting on a waiting list roughly at the end of summer and am wondering what you guys' input on breed selection.
I live on five acres with fields an lakes surrounding the property in a nice part of rural mn. I have chickens, goats in a week or two, parrots, cats and 4 dogs.
There are no kids living here but there are some 8-10 year olds that come her frequently that have been trained how behave around dogs :)
I am pretty active and love to go hiking, camping, and running and need a dog that can keep up with me because my current 4 lug-butts sure can't :eyeroll:
Though I don't plan on going to a competitive level I do want to participate in a couple dog sports like agility, fly ball, treiball, tracking and for sure Jorring.
I've been around everything from Akita to working line golden and German Shepherds. Looks wise though I do admit that I love poodles and Schnauzers, or basically any breed, I prefer more natural looking dogs.
Here are some current breeds on my list:
1. Australian Cattle Dog
2. Working Line GSD, Belgian, and Dutch Shepherds
3. Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog
Also, I've some German Shepherds in the past but have recently fallen in love with Dutch and Belgian Shepherds but have heard that they are extremely nervous dog, like you sneeze and the world ends. :eek: Is this true?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
German Shepherds are great dogs, and are certainly active and loyal. Another consideration might be a Border Collie, high energy, no such thing as too much exercise, and very very intelligent.

·
Registered
669 Posts
So it seems like your two main qualifications are 1) can keep up on and enjoy jogging and 2) would enjoy jorring and perhaps other dog sports as well. I would perhaps also add 3) will fit into a multi-dog home.

From the sounds of it, all you other 4 dogs are low energy? How well do they take to newcomers/puppies?

Personally, if I were adding a 5th dog to my house I would be concerned foremost with its ability to fit in with my current dogs. If you have 4 low energy dogs a high energy puppy may be that much more difficult to manage if it won't take no for an answer when it wants to play or if one or more of them aren't super tolerant of puppy behavior, and especially if the older dogs are much smaller.

Are you set on a young puppy or would perhaps an adolescent or young adult be OK? Be aware any medium/large breed puppy won't be able to run any long distances or really do much in the way of dog sports (except foundation work) until 1-1.5 years when their growth plates have closed. If you don't want a long wait maybe an older pup, adolescent or young adult would be best. Also, and more importantly, the closer the dog is to young adulthood the better an idea of adult temperament and fit in your household you'll be able to get. I think perhaps an adult rescue would be a good consideration here. You could even find purebreds in shelters- especially GSD and Catalouhas.

If you do want to go through a breeder for a puppy, I would definitely avoid a Mal. I cannot imagine having a Mal in a house with 4 other dogs, I'd worry I wouldn't have enough time to spend on everyone since the Mal (especially as a young dog) would take up so much energy and time to work with. I don't know much about Dutch Shepherds but I think they tend to be closer to Mals in temperament than GSD. I think a Border Collie could be OK but again, I don't think I would want a Border Collie if I also had 4 other dogs. I just wouldn't want to take on any breed with a propensity to need TONS of stimulation to be tolerable to live with.

I think if you want to do jorring specifically (which is when a dog pulls you on like a skateboard or skis or stuff, right?) then I would suggest a breed that has been bred to pull. Catalouhas would be good for this, I think. They do tend to congregate in rescues, especially mixed with pits, and I think a pit/cataluha would be great at that sport. They'd also be loads of fun for agility and flyball, I bet. I say check rescues around you for something like that- you might find a real gem.

Personally I would be weary to use a GSD to pull any amount of weight because of their topline- even if they came from lines with good hips I just feel like their physical build isn't ideal for that kind of movement. They are one breed I'm uncomfortable with now, though, given the extreme they have been bred to in the hips, so that is largely personal preference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of my dogs are extremely dog friendly and tolerant, they're pretty submissive and are very patient with young exuberant puppies. Tom Lane of Thistle Rock Goldens is a good friend of ours and we have had visits from lots of his puppies playing with our dogs :) I guess I really didn't go into detail with my dog situation. Though all the dogs would be considered family dogs each dog had a main person who he/ she spends 90% of his time with. We also have a big house so the dogs are often in different rooms with their humans. Nuka is my boy and he is with me for most of the day, he also happens to be our most patient and tolerant of our dogs. To put it simply though all the dogs are living in the same household I basically own 1 very lazy dog :)
I will definitely look into a catahoula from a shelter although I do tend to lean towards getting puppies from reputable breeders.

Also now that I think about Australian Shepherds and Border Collies are definitly on the list too.
The dogs I'm finding myself gravitating towards the most right now are the Catahoulas, and also other curs. Does anyone on here have experience with Black Mouths, Mountain Curs.
Any input on ACDs?

·
Registered
165 Posts
What about something like a wirehaired Griffon or wirehaired German Pointer?

They're very active, but good with other dogs/people. They can be used in jorring and will go all day but then happily laze around the house if they've been properly exercised. They have the wirehaired coat so are less susceptible to cold weather then the short hairs and are less hyperactve then shorthaired are usually. They do require firm and consistent training as they are a bit stubborn but no more so then a catalouha or a ACD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts