Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm doing this more for my own sanity then anything else. I've been desperately beating myself up over this for the past few days and I finally typed out an email today to animal control once I saw Hunter's listing officially pass over from the "lost" dog page to the "adoptable" dog page in animal control's website. I've shared so many ups and downs with this community that I wanted to share this as well. Any information that needed to be censored is replaced with underscores. Thanks for being here for me guys. I've never experienced a community like this before, and I appreciate each and every one of you.

Hello,

I am the live-in girlfriend of the son of the previous owner of Hunter (named Duke _______ in your system). Me and my boyfriend tried desperately to collect him from the shelter but fell short of the resources we needed.

His family got Hunter and his brother Levi from a BYB in a Wal-Mart parking lot. The family knew of the size and exercise requirements of having the dogs, and began building a fence so that when the boys were fully grown we could allow them the run of the yard. Unfortunately the family ran into serious financial troubles and could not finish the fence. They built a temporary kennel out of wire fencing in the yard and kept both dogs in there. Hunter soon learned how to use the trees supporting the fencing to throw himself over the fence. So, we bought a tie-out and hooked him to it to try and prevent this. He learned how to throw himself over the fence anyways and hang by the collar until he eventually slipped out. Fearing that he would choke himself to death we tried a heavy-duty harness, which he chewed out of. We then resorted to shortening the distance of the tie-out. He continued to escape. We had looked at every single possibility and did everything we could to try and keep them contained until the funds could be secured to finish the fence. I even personally offered to split 50/50 the cost to try and get it finished.

We decided that we could not make it happen and fearing for Hunter's well-being, we began posting the dogs for adoption. I cautioned against using sites like Craigslist because of the possibility of people looking for bait dogs or for other less-than-noble reasons, so I emailed multiple agencies looking for an courtesy listing and I also emailed any fence-building charities I could find, asking for help with the funds and assuring that since they were located elsewhere I could do the building myself. We posted multiple courtesy listings all to no avail and when Hunter got out this last time and ended up in your possession me and my boyfriend offered to pay all of the fees to get him out. I called the Humane society and every other rescue I could think of (absolutely no offence to your organization, but I know you have a limit on space and I wanted to get him to a no-kill shelter) but no one had any space. I even called a boarder and was willing to pay to have him boarded for 15$ a night until I could find him a home, but my boyfriend's mother refused knowing that I was completely wiping my finances out, and she was too afraid of the fees if he got loose again (she has two smaller children along with my boyfriend) to let us just take him home.

I'm sorry for the really long story, but I wanted you to know that he is a loved and wanted dog and I tried my hardest to keep him with his family. I know you'll take good care of him and if I can only ask one favor if there was any way you could possibly tell me when he gets adopted I would be forever indebted to you. Thank you so much for your time and all the good work you do, and have a good day.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I hope that you get a response when he's adopted. It's sad when people get a dog on a whim and issues like this happen. My mom got a puppy a few years ago, and she does love her very much, spoils her with treats and toys, but very rarely walks her outside. I try to take her to the park sometimes but having 2 dogs myself keeps me pretty busy! I hope Hunter ends up in the right hand. You sound like you have a heart of gold.

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
Hi DoppelGanger,

You can most likely find out whether Hunter has been adopted by calling the shelter with his ID number. They won't be able to give you any information about the new owner because of privacy rights, but they should be able to tell you what's happened to Hunter (e.g. adopted, rescued).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.