Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, this is mi first post

So..
I have a six months old female maltesse. She has been with me for four months. Because she had not been vacunated when i received her she was isolated till she was 4 months old and did not interact with other dogs until then.
She is afraid of big or intrepid dogs but never had been violent. She only interacts with a dashount and other dog that lives in the market and are good friends. Altough, she is very friendly with humans.

My boyfriend decided to adopt a steriliced xoloitzcuintle (mexican hairless dog) one year old. He is friendly with other dogs and humans, he used to live with a chichuahua.

Our dogs have only met once. First, we take them to the park two hours. They never played but smelled each other. Then we went to home and live them free in the room.

Mi dog Lia never got close if the xolo was with me. The xolo is a little enthusiast and lia got afraid and makes agressive noises (i dont know the word in english for dogs sounds) every time he tried to play.
In a moment, he got too close to smell her and she bite him (not hard) and he responded starting a fight. I separate them with my hands as soon as was posible (they do not hurt each other).

Then me and mi boyfriend sit in different places with our respecting dog by our side. When my dog tried to get close to the place where ny boyfried and the xolo where, he jump over her and started another fight. This time, mi dog ran to me.

At that time i decided to go home. We hace planned take them to another walk and i will sterilice mi dog this week. But we dont. Know what else to do.

Let them fight? No, please :(

Sorry for any gramatical mistake, i am not an english native speaker.

·
Registered
298 Posts
This is just an idea, you do not have to do this if you don't like the idea.

Put them in the same place with a gate or some sort of barrier where they can see each other but not touch, maybe it might be smart to supervise their interaction through the gate. After they are used to that interaction you can upgrade to a more interaction. Like having them both on leash in the same room, and if they are both calm alow them to interact (still on leash)! If one of them shows the least bit of aggression remove them quickly. Start over if that happens (maybe slower this time). Hopefully soon you will be at the point where they can both be in the same room and be perfectly happy in each other's company. But do NOT rush! Hope this helps.

-Jerusha

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
A few questions.

Are you living together with your boyfriend or do you have seperate homes?

If you live in seperate homes, do you two plan to move in together?

Please don't take these questions as prying into your personal life, as I know non of our buisness, but the questions are for us to better help you if we can. If you guys live in seperate houses and don't plan to move in together, leave the dog at home. (Weather he visits you or you visit him.) You can still do doggy play dates, but probably in a place that is not their home.

But if you guys do plan to move in together in the future, we might be able to help you out. if that makes sense.

By the way, you don't have to answer. Some dogs are better as the only pet in the home, plus your pup is still young and just needs time to adjust to a bigger dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

I aprecciate your answers.

Ive been reading about the subject and found that putting a barrier between them could be worse because the could think that their side of the barrier is their territory so there could be tension between them and when we take out the barrier there will be fights. What di yo think about it?

We are not planning to move together but we visit eqch other frequently and i used to take mi dog with me when i go to his house because otherwise she would be alone a lot of time. Im a student of a carreer in wich i need to travel for days or weeks and i have let my dog with my boyfriend for him to take care of her while i am outside and i wont be able to do it in the future if this situation continues. We need that they learn to be close.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
You seem to realize that your dog's lack of early socialization has caused a deficit in her social skills, in regards to getting along with other dogs. It sounds like the Xolo is doing some resource guarding too.

It is possible to change how these dogs feel about each other using counter conditioning.

There is a good book called Fight by Jean Donaldson. It would be a very good resource for you. You might also get a book by Patricia McConnell written for people living in a multi dog household called Feeling Outnumbered. Below are links.

If you and your boyfriend are willing to take the time to follow the recommendations in these books, there is a very good chance these two dogs can learn to get along. They may not be best friends but if they can co exist without fighting that would probably be sufficient. Good luck.

FIGHT! - A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO THE TREATMENT OF DOG-DOG AGGRESSION - Dog Training and Behavior - Dogwise.com

Feeling Outnumbered book | Dog Training Book | Patricia McConnell

·
Registered
265 Posts
Also unless you are specifically working with the dogs to treat the aggression you should do everything possible to stop the dogs from practicing this reaction. Keep them separated except when counter-conditioning until you see vast improvement. The more they practice the aggressive reaction, the more it will take to resolve it.

Reactions: Lia and Grabby

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Also unless you are specifically working with the dogs to treat the aggression you should do everything possible to stop the dogs from practicing this reaction. Keep them separated except when counter-conditioning until you see vast improvement. The more they practice the aggressive reaction, the more it will take to resolve it.

I'm glad this point was made as it's very important.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all.
It appears that the problem is from both sides.
The lack of early socialization of my dog and the dominance of the xolo. He has bite one member of the family of my boyfriend with no evident reason.
We will wait to see what happens with the xolo and if he stays in the family. If so, i think i will study counter conditioning and try it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would work it it regardless. Every positive interaction you can reinforce with a dog your girl has a problem with is going to be one step towards proper socializing and full recovery. Even if the xolo is going to a new home I would jump on the opportunity to practice seeing as it's your bf you could really control the situation and set her up for success

1 - 9 of 9 Posts