Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else's pup give you a stare just out of the blue? Kuma does this to me all the time and I've never really decided to post about it until recently.

I will try to get a picture of it.

It's random and it freaks me out. It makes me wonder what is he thinking if he's thinking anything at all.

Hubby would be watching t.v. I would be watching t.v. Kuma is always on Hubby's lap on the computer chair while I sit on the bed. And Kuma would litterly position himself so that he is staring right at me. And he's not staring anywhere. no, he is staring at my face. And when we make eye contact, he doesn't blink, just... stares... I would tell hubby about it and he thinks I'm crazy as when he looks, Kuma goes to lay down on his lap. (He is usually sitting.)

That's not the only time. When we are relaxing and I'm reading and Kuma is laying in his bed, he will just stare at me. But he is staring at my face. He doesn't stare anywhere else, just at my face.

I don't think it's a pose of I'm going to attack because his ears are in their relaxed position. (Sometimes pointing foreward? or slightly foreward?)

So, anyone elses pup does this strange stare? Or do I just have one of those dogs that just likes to space off? almost?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Reese definitely gives me a creepy stare sometimes! I'll be watching tv or on the computer, and glance at her, and she is drilling holes in me! No reason that I can see, just stares. It's a little disconcerting.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I have a Border Collie. I think that's all there is to say. :p

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Jaya always seems to keeps an eye on me - I think it's just a learned wariness with her...she's still has irrational fears that I'm going to go after her, I guess. Most of the time when I look at her we have eye contact...but at least now, she's not running from it...and will often keep looking back and staying relaxed : )

HaHa...seems like if he's not keeping eye are on his toys, then he's watching me, and there are a lot of times when I've woke up in the morning to him standing by the recliner with his chin resting on the arm and he's just looking at me, like he's studying me. Maybe he's just trying to remember who I am....he's pretty forgetful...lol. :p

I think the cats like to freak me out more than the dogs do...with their weird slit eyes...and their sudden freezing and looking at something over my shoulder, when all that is behind me is a wall. (and the gap between the wall and the recliner where something could be standing !!! :eek: )

Stormy :eek:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Teddy loves to just randomly stare at me. I could be on the couch and he'd be on the floor, he'll jump right up to join me just to stare. I always wonder what he's thinking because he looks so serious.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I think the cats like to freak me out more than the dogs do...with their weird slit eyes...and their sudden freezing and looking at something over my shoulder, when all that is behind me is a wall. (and the gap between the wall and the recliner where something could be standing !!! :eek: )

Stormy :eek:
My cat used to do that too. And when I'd turn back around, he'd be looking all smug :rolleyes: I loved him, but he was kind of a jerk.

My current dogs don't really do the stare, but my Lab mix could be pretty intense. She was the sweetest, most stable dog that loved everyone, but we had some people over once to work on our gutters and she was outside - they were more uncomfortable in her presence than with the dogs that were barking because she just sat on the hill and...watched.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Sam will burn a hole in my head with his stares, lol. He's just waiting for me to give him his attention, which is all his waking hours.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Ella has done it a few times but in totally different context. Like when I get too close to her raw bone ..... :D

So I know the stare and its very creepy.

BUT Kuma is not in aggressive mode. I read somewhere that trained dogs make much more eyecontact with people than non-trained dogs .... maybe he`s just hoping for some treats :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd rather have my dog stare at me then what she does, because what she does is stare at either the ceiling or the corner or different things and it scares me lol. What's there that she sees??? Idk dogs are strange lool

·
Registered
669 Posts
Skipper will stare at me when he's trying to decide what I'm about to do. He isn't food motivated and is still convinced nothing is worth going into his kennel, so we do a bit of a dance when I have to crate him before I leave or if I need the dogs up for a bit. He also doesn't like being left in a room alone, even if it's the living room and I'm just popping into the kitchen. He wants to keep tabs on me. He gets a little paranoid about both and if I'm moving around in an unfamiliar pattern he'll stand frozen and just stare at me--he's done this for a solid fifteen minute session before if I don't call him over/outside or give him a chew to snap him out of it. When your dog has amber eyes, it's pretty creepy.
He's a very senses-oriented dog, which I believe many terriers are. Sometimes he needs to take everything in with his senses (sight, smell, hearing) before I feel like his brain really kicks in--so I do think that's part of it with Skip.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Today I was throwing out my food and Cooper was watching me closely. Then I walked away and knew he wasn't following me. He was staring at me waiting to see if I was leaving. Then I stood at the doorway looking at him. We had a staring match for 5 minutes with his head crooked to the side with his little snaggletooth. Then I would walk away and try to sneak back to see if he was going after the trash, and there he was with his head peaking out with the same expression just staring at me. I walked away for a little longer, then I caught him in the act of trying to peak in the trash. Of course, he gave me the same look when I told him to get down.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh good. I thought I was the only one who had that. I guess I am just more aware of Kuma then I am of my other passed pups because he is literily my first rescue dog and I'm constantly checking up on him where as the others didn't need much 'looking' after I guess.

I'll see if I can still get the picture.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Syd stares at me all the time. It often happens when she wants to play/walk. She's staring at me right now as I type this in fact...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts