Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, so living in British Columbia means many animals. And let's just say, one of those animals are coyotes.

This morning I woke up at 6:00, my usual time. Max wasn't in his bed, so I had to search for him. I found him outside (probably my brother let him out) growling at something. That something was a coyote, male for sure. I was freaking out because Max is small, and coyotes tend to eat small dogs. For example, my neighbours chihuahua got killed by a damn coyote.

The coyote ran off when it noticed me, so I FINALLY calmed down. A couple hours later, after breakfast, I looked out the window to see if it had came back. Nope. It was gone.

That is the story. I don't know any more.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Keep your dog away from it. I'm in BC too, we get a lot of them in Fraser Valley region. They are extremely crafty and have been known to engage dogs in play in order to draw them away from their 'backup' (which is you with your tall, scary human-ness). Don't let them do this. Don't let your dog play with or follow them. They may be fairly small but they have actually mauled ponies pretty badly in Maple Ridge.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Wow! Scary! I didn't know they lured dogs away! I'm super conscious of coyotes because I have a ton of them in my area (I hear them at night, and there have been sightings of them right outside of our gated community). I never walk my chi at night because of that. Good to know!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
They will grab small dogs off leashes too, they got a chi puppy in my neighborhood that way.

If I see one, I just pick my dog up and walk in the other direction. Sometimes they'll follow a bit but they hardly ever mess with humans.

For walking Lexy, I just carry mace. Always good to have for any dog you can't pick up and book it with.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Around here, the coyotes are very wary of humans and are rarely seen. We have a lot of them but mostly they are heard not seen. I'm sure they get cats and small dogs when they get a chance. I admire coyotes for their ability to adapt but I'd not leave a small dog or a cat outside without supervision. A friend of mine lost two of her beagles to coyotes. They escaped their yard and were found weeks later in a greenbelt area near her subdivision.

I'm glad nothing happened to your dog. I hope you told your brother what happened so he doesn't do that again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We've had a few attack small dogs where I live, so every time I let Dakota out to go potty, Ally (a pit/dalmation mix) goes out with him while I watch from the porch with a gun nearby. She's very protective and I've seen her chase of some "pasture poodles" with no problem.

Reactions: Grabby

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I know it's not a very nice thing to say but... I honestly cannot stand coyotes one bit. They live both out back of my house and on the hill out front... or at least venture to those places. The sounds they make are just eerie, they sound like they are laughing at me and I have had nightmares from it before, lol. I know they are canines but... yeesh!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I know it's not a very nice thing to say but... I honestly cannot stand coyotes one bit. They live both out back of my house and on the hill out front... or at least venture to those places. The sounds they make are just eerie, they sound like they are laughing at me and I have had nightmares from it before, lol. I know they are canines but... yeesh!
That reminds me of a neighbor we had years ago. They were a young couple with a small child. Our street in the subdivision is the last street and behind us is what we call open unimproved pasture. It's basically scrub brush and mesquite trees. Naturally, the coyotes love this area and we hear them quite often howling and yipping. The neighbors came over one night around dusk all freaked out. They wanted to know if we'd heard the horrible noises behind the houses. We told them they were coyotes and they shouldn't worry as they avoided humans for the most part. They moved out a month later to a more civilized neighborhood. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the rattlesnakes that make appearances now and then.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Oh ya the snakes! I don't think I could get use to those.
ANd yes we have coyotes here too, scraggely looking things. BU they keep the rabbit population down.

·
Banned
178 Posts
I see coyotes almost everyday here at work in Southern CA and only a few actually showed aggression toward me. Most run off as fast as they can.

Once when I had a flat tire out in the middle of the Mohave Desert and my only problem was that I wasn’t familiar with where everything was in the car. I couldn’t find the spare tire or the tools so I was pulling everything out and laying it on the ground when two Coyotes stopped to watch.

They were really interested in what I was doing and I could not find the jack or any other tools after finding the spare tire. It was quite a while before I got everything together, but I had everything out by then and they moved in a little closer to watch. All I could think of was that they had to be laughing at me because they really looking like they were enjoying themselves.

The jack was so small and the car was so low that I had lie on the ground to get it under the axel which changed things considerably. Now they were very interested and started circling the car.

I was getting worried and working as fast as I could while yelling the whole time. I had to jump up a few times to scare them, but I finally got the new tire on and decided that I wasn’t going to lay down in the sand anymore and just drove off the jack.

By this time they had moved away a little and I just grabbed everything and tossed it into the vehicle without trying to organize anything. After I drove off I noticed they started to chase me and wished I would have had a camera at the time. :)

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I don't mind the coyotes (they sound like little girls screaming, though, so it can be a bit startling). LOL. I actually like them because where I used to live had basically no wildlife. Now we get coyotes, rabbits, and the occasional deer. I'm also in SoCal. I love it.

Grabby your story reminds me of a neighbor I had when I lived in AZ. I walked outside to leave, and the neighbor couple was standing on the porch looking worried. I asked them what was wrong and they asked me in a very scared voice how to get rid of scorpions. LOL. I told them they needed to spray to keep the crickets down.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Kelly, I drove through the Fraser Valley today on my way home from Squamish! I'm in BC too (East Kootenays/worked pretty much everywhere in the province) and we also have coyotes eating cats and dogs. Supervision is key! My dad got surrounded by them with the dogs last spring, they didn't scare off easily, so be careful!

·
Banned
178 Posts
I don't mind the coyotes (they sound like little girls screaming, though, so it can be a bit startling). LOL. I actually like them because where I used to live had basically no wildlife. Now we get coyotes, rabbits, and the occasional deer. I'm also in SoCal. I love it..
Seebrown, I don't mean change the topic, but did you hear about the 100lb dog being killed by a Mountain lion a few days ago in Southern Ca?
Mountain Lion Kills 100-Pound German Shepherd in Family's Back Yard | NBC Southern California

I know Coyotes are responsible for killing a lot of cats and I hardly ever hear much of small dogs, but I sure it happens. I just wonder if coyotes ever get killed by mountain lions.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I love listening to the coyotes, most of the time I hear them off in the distance but at certain times of the year they come into the meadow next to my house. Them getting so close was worrisome once Shadow got to be really old. I ended up not letting him go outside by himself at night for his potty breaks off leash, I'd go out in the yard with him on leash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts