Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh my... It seems I am going to become a cat owner or at least cat keeper on Monday! Someone I know has to rehome their cat and suggested I take her.

I was pretty excited about this a couple of hours ago and I wanted so much to let the steam out somewhere. But I was on a walk with Alva so I could not post immediately anywhere. Maybe that was a good thing.

And why do I write here?

Alva likes cats. A bit too much, to be honest. She thinks the make nice interactive toys. I and cats do not agree.

The collie and the cat have met before when the cat was here for a weekend and we spent last 3 weeks under the same roof elsewhere. This, I thought, was supposed to temporary so I did not think about it too much.

Alva stalks the cat and wants to know all the time where the cat is. She is not outright aggressive towards the cat but she might chase if the cat bolts in front of her. She also thinks that cat food on the table is hers (which reminds me that I must decide a safe place to keep the cat's feeding station).

If the cat will be here to stay, I must offer her a safe and stress-free environment. That means that I must teach Alva that the cat is now part of the household. No chasing, no stalking. The cat is boring. The cat has permission to walk from one room to another. And so on.

I don't know how exactly. I think the task is not impossible. Alva is quite biddable. This far I have told her to lie down or come to me anytime she looks at a cat that way. She'll also leave the cat alone more likely if the cat is confident and instead of sneaking and bolting walks calmly wherever she wants tail pointing upwards. I have also thought getting an indoor gate to separate the animals if needed without breaking eye contact.

·
Registered
717 Posts
FinnAlva, congrats on the kitty cat? Now a whole new adventure starts. First, cat trees are very good for giving kitty somewhere to go out of reach. A baby gate or similar will probably be very handy, especially in the beginning. A confident cat definitely helps, I have 5 BC's and 4 cats and the cat that gets bothered the least is a confident ex street cat named Lucky. If you need more ideas DiamondsInTheRuff have some very good articles on cat chasing on their site.

·
Registered
875 Posts
For places safe for kitty, I reccomend cat shelves, cat towers and the like, places high up the cat can get to and watch the dog without the dog being able to get at the cat.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cat come in with all equipment including a tree (it is though somewhat worn out and it does not have a long scratching surface this big cat would need so I'd like to update it at some point).

I also have furniture the cat can jump on but I must remove some stuff from them and maybe add a cat bed on some of my bookshelves.

I am just a bit worried that my dog will occasionally block the cat so it cannot leave a wantage point and that is unacceptable. The situation is not bad but I want to avoid it escalating.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I think that as long as the cat has its safe places everything will be fine. I volunteer at a cat rescue and we always tell adopters to keep the cat isolated, preferably in one area of the house until they settle in then slowly introduce them. It will probably take some time but as long as you discourage and chasing/stalking she will probably lose interest and accept the kitty as part of the family. Since they've already met, how did the cat act around Alva? Did they try to run away or just walk past? Will Alva back off if the cat hisses/swats at her? If the cat gets cornered, I'd actually be more worried about Alva than the cat.

My dog has met a few dog-savy cats and now understands that a hiss is a precursor to a swat and will back off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.