Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?? (2).jpg

Generally, i won't use retractable leash, but this MIU PET leash changed my mind.
The handle is comfortable and easy to grip.
The lock works wonderful.
The little canister that can be used for poop bags is really a bonus.

·
Registered
297 Posts
As far as retractable leashes go, it looks quite nice. Pobably the nicest one I have seen. But I don't use retractable leashes and probably never will. I don't like how they accustom the dog to always having pressure on the lead. I have worked for loose leash walking and I fear that a retractable would undo that.

It looks like a nice find though. Use safely. :)

·
Registered
911 Posts
I don't like retractable leashes. They are not as comfortable to hold as a normal leash and hurt my hand. They are bulky too. And, this is more user error than the leash itself but many people that use them have no control over their dogs. Also walking multiple dogs would be a nightmare with those things.

Reactions: Bluesky1116

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 170889

Generally, i won't use retractable leash, but this MIU PET leash changed my mind.
The handle is comfortable and easy to grip.
The lock works wonderful.
The little canister that can be used for poop bags is really a bonus.
this dog leash looks great. wanna get one for my friend's golden retriever as a gift. he is 14 years old and about 45 lbs. where can i buy it??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't like retractable leashes. They are not as comfortable to hold as a normal leash and hurt my hand. They are bulky too. And, this is more user error than the leash itself but many people that use them have no control over their dogs. Also walking multiple dogs would be a nightmare with those things.
Oh, I agree with you, retractable leashes may have many disadvantages.
I just got this for a try, but it absolutely change my thought about retractable leashes. This one is comfortable to hold. As for user error, I haven't met yet. And I only have one dog, so I won't walk multiple dogs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as retractable leashes go, it looks quite nice. Pobably the nicest one I have seen. But I don't use retractable leashes and probably never will. I don't like how they accustom the dog to always having pressure on the lead. I have worked for loose leash walking and I fear that a retractable would undo that.

It looks like a nice find though. Use safely. :)
Thank you, user errors do happen frequently of retractable leashes. I would take care of this when use it.
By the way, the more I use this leash, the more I like it. It's really a great leash.:D

·
Registered
911 Posts
Oh, I agree with you, retractable leashes may have many disadvantages.
I just got this for a try, but it absolutely change my thought about retractable leashes. This one is comfortable to hold. As for user error, I haven't met yet. And I only have one dog, so I won't walk multiple dogs.
For me it doesn't matter how soft the handle it. I have a couple health problems and it causes my hands to go numb and can also cramp when I'm holding something. A leash is better, I can just loop it around my wrist, no problems.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The problems with retractable leashes have nothing to do with how comfortable or uncomfortable the handles are. The problems are that it generally when people get it they're getting it instead of learning loose leash walking because their dog pulls, so it allows the dog to go wherever he wants and not care about his handler. That means the dog can go up on people's lawns, run up to strange dogs or people they could injure or be injured by, and into the street where they can be killed. Not to mention the long leash, when extended can wrap around people's legs and trip them, as well as cut into their skin. One of the few scars on my girlfriend's body are scars on her legs from someone else's retractable leash from their dog that got wrapped around her. I just can't see anything that great about a dog product that is responsible for so many human and canine injuries and even deaths.

I believe this leash works well with you and that's ok but in my experience I (and most dog people I know) hate retractable leashes for multiple reasons and none of them will change my mind!

Reactions: annageckos

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am also standing closer the the traditional leashes. I think retractable leashes can be dangerous as it was mentioned above, but I will agree, it does look like a nice one. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problems with retractable leashes have nothing to do with how comfortable or uncomfortable the handles are. The problems are that it generally when people get it they're getting it instead of learning loose leash walking because their dog pulls, so it allows the dog to go wherever he wants and not care about his handler. That means the dog can go up on people's lawns, run up to strange dogs or people they could injure or be injured by, and into the street where they can be killed. Not to mention the long leash, when extended can wrap around people's legs and trip them, as well as cut into their skin. One of the few scars on my girlfriend's body are scars on her legs from someone else's retractable leash from their dog that got wrapped around her. I just can't see anything that great about a dog product that is responsible for so many human and canine injuries and even deaths.

I believe this leash works well with you and that's ok but in my experience I (and most dog people I know) hate retractable leashes for multiple reasons and none of them will change my mind!
Yeah, i have heard some news about injury caused by retractable leashes, it really shocked me. But retractable leashes is just a tool, and the most important part is the user. The lock mode in this leash works very well, and i will take care of this when walk my dog.

Anyway, thank you for your reply.:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
That looks like a nice leash, but I'm with the no-retractible group. For little dogs who like to dash about (like terriers) they are just asking for trouble. For bigger dogs, even though they give weight limits, I just don't trust them due to physics. A big dog jerking to the stop at the end of a 4 or 6 foot standard leash is going to have alot less force on the arm of the holder than a dog who's bolted to the end of a 12 foot length. That's 40-120 lbs of force traveling at 1-3 mph depending on the dog, the size and how fast they can get up a sprint. 12 feet is more than enough for most dogs to get up a good healthy sprint.

Now, if you live where I did in a town with insanely restrictive laws and a "dog-friendly" park that only allowed small dogs off lead this may be a good idea to let your dog run around a bit more...but not for typical walks...too much can happen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does this one have separate brake and lock buttons? I've seen a couple that didn't and reeling the dog in was a whole production *pull-lock-unlock-pull-lock-unlock*. With a separate brake button it's just *pull-brake-pull-brake* until it's as short as you need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.