Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure something like this exists on the forum. But, since you have to wade through a ton of pages.. .

I've taken dogs over for the occasional Thanksgiving, but never a puppy. I'm bringing:

enzymatic cleaner and poop bags
Kong, to be pre-frozen and frozen some more. Uncle hosting is 1.5 hours away.
long-lasting chew
x-pen
water bowl and food
Scheduled a playdate the night before and an extra walk before leaving.
There is a yard, park, and quiet space when she needs it

What else would you bring? Any tips to make this visit go over well?

·
Super Moderator
6,137 Posts
Blanket from home so it smells ‘right’

A mat, piece of vet bed, towel or whatever to lie on as her ‘place’

Anything weather related, so towels if it’s going to be wet, a coat or cool coat as appropriate

I take a probiotic paste to treat diarrhoea. Even a change of water can bring it on in a dog with a sensitive system, the last thing you want is an upset tummy and nothing to stop it.

I take it there will be a first aid kit with things like bandages, antiseptic and so on.

There’s bound to be other things too, I’m sure others will chip in.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I immediately thought of a mat or blanket to call her safe space.

I actually bring a jug of water from home when I visit my parents who are 1.5hrs away.

I bring his fan or anything like that that he is used to. No fans this time of year, just saying.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Item update:
2 frozen Kongs in case chew is not of interest. If you have a portable carpet cleaner, could be a nice gesture

Pro tip: pack what you can the night before

How it went:

The Bad: forgot the x-pen and she had a hard time signaling she needed out because she didn't know where the door for outside was. Felt bad, but it was only one accident, everything was ok, and hosting uncle was understanding.

The Good:
Terminal uncle was very fond of her, even though they didn't get to interact too much [medical tubing+puppy=no]. He insisted on getting pictures of him and her together and sending them to friends. She happily obliged.

Eased an awkward situation. Certain family members were present I thought I would never speak to again after a huge blowout. Still tense, but we were able to talk dogs so it was ok. Also gave emotional support for another uncle caught in a conversation he didn't want to be present for.

Cousin in early twenties has been wanting dog, but never has had one. While those two had a blast and were buds, cousin has learned she is not ready for dog.

Got to share the wonderful Crufts 2020 heel work to music with Elke Boxoen and Just Jump Jessy. Same cousin, who was cuddling on the floor next to puppy.

Puppy behaved extremely well, tons of compliments on her temperament. Didn't jump/try to jump or mouth too much on anyone. Not at all during a brief meeting with 4 year old [unplanned]. Puppy is invited over again. ...I am as well. 😜

The Weird

One uncle held her in his lap and rocked her while talking to her. He does not do this, ever, for anyone or anything. I was a little weirded out, puppy was confused, but rolled with it.

Hosting uncle doesn't allow pets onto furniture. Said it was ok if she did. Did not happen...but still.

Met a woman in her late 50s or older who says she has never met a red-tricolor aussie and was stunned by her. This is in a large city in a state where the breed is pretty popular. But, it is what it is.

Hope you all had a great day today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts