Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a cocker spaniel 9 years old. he was my sons dog and we have had him for about 2 years. he has been finefor about a year would go outside to use bathroom, until one day he went down to the basement and found out that the cats have a litter box down there. how he goes to the bathroom down there all the time. We are gone most of the day and we use to keep him in a crate. For me I hate to keep him in a crate for up to 8 hr. We use to keep him in the crate at night until he started digging at the crate breathing hard not barking or wining and went to the bathroom in the cage. I let out ever night before bed. the basement smells bad. and it is stanning the concrete. I closed it off to him and he just went upstairs in one of the rooms. i have put pads down but he goes everywhere they are not. I am desperate. we use one side of the basement for entertaining but now is smells so bad.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
What have you been cleaning with? I ask because unless it is something breaking up the enzymes and being used correctly, then the pee and such is not really gone. So it would still have an olfactory, "pee here" sign.

The pads were probably counterintuitive, so go ahead and ditch them. Have you tried giving him a refresher on potty training, just like a new.puppy? And how often are you taking him out during the day?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts