Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone,
I'm from Serbia and I have Jack Russel Terrier, named Baxter. He is one year and five months old, and I think he is dealing a problem with teritorial agression, but it's kind of wierd. He is agressiv toward strangers, but not all strangers. I don't know why, but he becomes agressiv toward some people, and at the other hand is very friendly toward others. I never know how is he going to react. He had even bitten one person.
Also, he is my first dog, and I realy want to solve this problem. I would appreciate some help and advices.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hi and welcome to dog forum
It's quite likely that your dog isn't aggressive so much as fearful. He's reacting to *some* people, because something about those people scare him. You could try identifying similarities these people all had: were they men (many dogs are more afraid of men than women); did they have facial hair, were they wearing hats or caps? That may help you identify what the issue is.

The best way to reduce reactivity in dogs is to keep them from reacting while rewarding them while in the presence of what it is that scares them, called the 'trigger'. For example, you may figure out that your dog is afraid of men with beards. So, you would be careful not to let him too close to men with beards, but to reward him for being in their presence. The goal here is to get him to stop thinking "Man with beard: danger danger!" but to think "Man with beard! Yay, I love men with beards cause then I get treats!"

Here's more info: http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/reactivity-leash-aggression-barrier-frustration-12538/

Also, these two websites have great info:
Fearfuldogs.com
Care for Reactive Dogs

1 - 2 of 2 Posts