Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting on this site but I've been lurking for a while.

I have never had a dog before, and I never had a dog growing up, but I have wanted one my entire life (I even went as far as to write my dad a 5 page, single spaced essay with citations about why I should get a dog). Before now, I have never once doubted my ability to care for or my desire for a dog. I was just waiting until I could afford one.

Well, I finally have the perfect combination of savings and earnings and I am confident I can provide everything a dog needs. I have spent countless hours researching different dog breeds and puppies and dogs in general and decided, for many reasons, that a Samoyed is the dog breed for me.

After much deliberation, I finally put down a deposit on a puppy that will be born April 16th! (I know I should adopt, but for many reasons I have decided to purchase a puppy from a reputable breeder). I am extremely excited, but all of a sudden this overwhelming fear has taken up residence in my body. It's like every single doubt I have ever had about owning a dog has surfaced at once. I can hardly think of anything else but the idea that I've made a horrible mistake. I don't even know what I am afraid of specifically, but I have found myself spending hours reading about all the negatives and worse case scenarios about having a dog. Honestly I feel like at this point if my puppy does anything good at all or if I get an hour of freedom a day I will be pleasantly shocked. Since putting down the deposit I think I have worried about absolutely everything. Will I let my puppy down? What if I'm awful at training the dog? What if I don't have enough energy to keep up with its exercise requirements? What if I'm feeling really lazy one day and just want to watch a movie but my dog doesn't want to stay still? I keep convincing myself that having a dog will limit me from doing things like taking spontaneous weekend trips or staying out late at bars or spending the entire day out of the house, but I never even do any of those things anyway. I am very much a home body so I don't know why I think I'm suddenly going to change and want to do all this stuff I never wanted to do before, only to be hindered by my dog? One of the things I can't stop thinking about is that (hopefully) this dog will live until I'm well in my 30's, and that kind of freaks me out, to be honest, because the thought of being in my 30's in and of itself terrifies me, so I think having something connecting me to that point is really getting to me. Similarly, nobody can predict the future, but I can't stop thinking about the remote possibility that sometime in the future this dog will have limited me so much in what I can do that I regret getting her or, even worse, resent her. I think I've read too many stories of people who got a dog in their early 20's and later regretted it. I highly doubt this would happen to me, as I am an extremely caring person by nature and have had a bunny for 11 years now and never once regretted her, but, alas, this is where my thoughts have taken me and I guess we never really know.

I have read a lot about post-puppy blues, but I think I'm having pre-puppy anxiety. I'm feeling really overwhelmed by everything I'm going to have to teach her and all the things I have to expose her to and all of the time and energy I will devote to her, and she hasn't even been born yet! I really think that when I have my little puppy in my arms that I will feel a lot better, but in the meantime I would like to hear if anyone else felt this way when they were getting this puppy or am I alone in this? I think I'm probably just fearing the unknown right now, especially since the unknown is a 13 year commitment, but do you think its normal? Am I doomed? I can always forfeit my deposit, but I do really genuinely want this dog, I've just always been a worrier and I think I'm way overthinking everything. Can you guys tell me all of the reasons why you love having your dog(s)? Feel free to point out negatives as well, but I think I've read too much negativity already and need to get back to that excitement that I felt before putting down the deposit.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes you have pre-puppy anxiety and yes you are overthinking it.

It's similar to what parents feel when birth is imminent and it's perfectly normal.

And it can be a good thing cos it means you have thought about it and are aware of what could go wrong.

But it can also be a bad thing if you drive yourself insane worrying about things that haven't happened yet and are very very unlikely to happen at all.

Puppies are cute for a reason. Same as babies. It's to make us want to look after them. And you will. Soon you will have an exhausting day with Puppy and then, on the evening, you will look down at this bundle of fluff on your lap and know, in your bones, why you have a dog. There's not much that feels better than that.

One thing to do, get a calendar and make notes of the day Puppy learns to do something. Then later, when you wonder just what the heck you have done, you can look at it and see the progress you have both made.

And yes, puppies are annoying bitey noisy little monsters. But only for a short while. Puppyhood passes in a flash and if you keep on top of the training, you will have unconditional love for the next 15 years from your dog.

So take a deep breath and stop fretting!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey. I'm sure what you're feeling is normal. Sometimes before I try anything new, my worries spiral out of control until I'm almost trying to convince myself not to do it, even though I really do want to.
One of the things you asked for was what we like about our dogs. I got my most recent dog a year ago from the pound. He was six years old. I was wholly unprepared for the scope of his challenges. He was not leash trained, he was skittish, fear aggressive, and reactive. It's very frustrating sometimes, and in the beginning I wondered if I had made a huge mistake. We found out that we love hiking together. Whenever I get frustrated or even start to feel disappointed with my dog, I think about and look forward to our next hike, and the good feelings that come along with it.
My advice to you is to find sonething you really love doing with your pup. When it gets difficult, and it will, you can fall back on that. That's been my experience.
I love my dog for many reasons, one of which is that he's a great teacher. He's forced me to show more commitment and effort than I did dogs before. He's made me think creatively, be happy with small victories, face social fears, and be healthier. Most of all, he's taught me that you can have a bunch of issues and still love and be loved without condition. As somebody who struggles with anxiety and depression, that was important for me to learn.
Despite what you're feeling now, I think you're gonna love your new pup. Dog ownership teaches me a lot about myself. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts