Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there, this is my first time posting in this forum so i apologize if i make any mistakes.

my family has had this rat terrier/chihuahua mix dog for almost 5 years now, we had her a young puppy. she was very aggressive as a puppy and would growl and snap at almost anyone.

we socialized her as much as we could and tried training her and although she grew attached to everyone in the family and is sweet to all of us, she is an absolute monster to most strangers(or even people that shes seen multiple times but just don't live in our house) and other dogs.

we've always made sure everyone is very calm around her and let her come to them, but she always bares her teeth and puffs all her fur out, and usually as they move their hand away she bites. she absolutely hates being touched by strangers in anyway but she stalks them around the house wherever they go and wont leave them alone and if they turn to interact with her, she goes back to the aggressive baring the teeth behavior and possibly biting.she also bares her teeth and will attack other dogs for even getting too close to her even if they aren't bothering her, but she stalks them as well.

strangers can give her treats and she will accept without hesitation, they can also play with her with her toys and she acts perfectly happy until they try and touch her. shes never had a bad history unless it happened as a very young puppy because we've had her since she was old enough to be away from her mom. she never gets hit in anyway and her bad behaviors aren't rewarded.

i started taking her on more walks because i thought it would help and theres been no improvement.

i'm at a complete loss about what to do.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You may actually want to try a trained animal behaviorist. My aunt's dog did this, but only after it developed arthritis. Let me be straight tho...terriers...especially the little terriers like jack Russel and rat are well known for not getting on with other dogs and especially not getting on with cats. It's possible, but not directly in their nature.

I would encourage you to enlist the help of a professional for another reason--homeowner's insurance--a dog with a bite history, even one that's not been recorded by animal control could nullify your entire policy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts