Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 8 month old male Pekingese that is an absolute joy to own. I know that typically they can be stubborn in training but I really have had no problems. He catches on quickly and actually likes to do tricks and if I treat him with respect he has no problem obeying when I give him any command. Shout at him and he ignores you flat. Ask nicely and calmly and he obeys.

Just a short history. I live alone with the bf who sleeps over 3/4 days a week. Our behaviour towards animals is completely different. He believes in dominance and I believe in building a relationship of total trust and respect between me and the animal. Needless to say we disagree a lot about how animals should be treated, but he does not interfere with my way of doing it, he just wont follow the same route. He just rolls his eyes at us and continue on his way. Which is ok because I am the owner and I spend the most time with my dog. my thing is this. my dog knows that he gets treated very different and is respected different between these two humans. So he has taken to doing something that I find funny on the one side and on the other side I off course don't want to encourage the behaviour for obvious reasons. See Bf will plonk his bag down in the living room on the couch when he arrives and dresses there in the morning when he sleeps over. Guess where my Pekingese has calmly started marking? Yep....Bf's couch. Never on his bag, but on the couch. its almost as if hes saying "Ill show you who is boss.. this couch and this woman is mine"
Is my dog clever enough to do this on purpose in retaliation to the Bf's sleep overs? When we are alone he never does it.
Any advice on how I can get it into his doggy brain that the bf is the visitor and he does not need to feel territorial?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Dogs aren't capable of feeling pride, nor are they capable of having that pride hurt. Same for spite. Dogs feel the range of emotions that a human child under 3 would. They don't develop those more complex feelings. One or both reasons that I can think of for your dog's urination are:

1) If he is nervous of your boyfriend, adrenaline will enter his system. Adrenaline is a diuretic. You produce more urine when you are scared or excited! He will probably need more frequent potty breaks in situations where he might be on edge like this. Guests in the house are exciting, as it is. That would get most dogs having to go to the bathroom more frequently.

2) Potty training issue. Unless you have totally eliminated the smell of urine with an enzymatic cleaner, the spot where your dog marks still smells like "DOGGY TOILET: PEE RIGHT HERE!". You will need to clean the spot thoroughly with a cleaner that is specially formulated to break down the salts in urine, like Nature's Miracle. Take him to the bathroom outside before or right when your boyfriend comes over. Block the dog's access to the spot. Take him outside frequently during his "problem time" so that his bladder stays nice and empty.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Good points above.

I would add that dogs find their own scent comforting so if he is anxious about your bf he may be trying to calm himself by covering his smell.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree with Kelly528. The other thing I was thinking is maybe theres something about how the bag or its contents smell that makes him want to pee there. Try putting the bag up and away from his reach and see if he still does this. But deffinitly make sure you clean with a enzymatic cleaner as stated if you haven't already, and if any pee got on the bag make sure you clean with the enzymatic cleaner as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts