Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I've been researching and a few sites say that tennis balls are unsafe for dogs? And some sites say they're safe?

Can someone please give me a list of balls that are safe and unsafe to use for fetch and other things?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Short of containing lead or other toxins - or eating them, can't see why they would do any harm. I personally try to avoid buying anything out of China anymore.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Short of containing lead or other toxins - or eating them, can't see why they would do any harm. I personally try to avoid buying anything out of China anymore.
What if the dog chews it? I heard they wear down teeth or something?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
The idea is that tennis balls are designed to withstand harsh conditions of bouncing and scraping on concrete, clay, etc. As a result they're abrasive, and the longer they get bounced around the more dirt/stones they pick up and become more abrasive. So there is some talk that they will wear down teeth over time.

They are safe for dogs to play with, provided they aren't chewing them like crazy, or eating pieces (I've seen plenty of dogs "skin" a tennis ball). You can definitely still play fetch, but make sure your dog has appropriate "chew toys".

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
They can be rough on teeth, and and if strong chewers get ahold of them and tear pieces off and swallow, there could be an intestinal blockage. If you let your dog play with tennis balls, just don't leave them alone with them. Take them up after play, and don't allow chewing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
A terrier belonging to a friend had a fetish for tennis balls, she always had them. By the time she was eight her teeth were worn right down so they can be very abrasive.

Get a solid rubble really or a leather one. With the latter they do puncture them but you can cut it open and stuff with old tights and duct tape the hole.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Tennis balls are fine to play fetch but you must not let a dog chew on it as it WILL wear down their teeth like sandpaper.....A good hard rubber field hockey or LaCrosse ball is a good alternative.... pretty heavy duty and not real expensive you can get a bag of 6 Lacrosse balls for $10.99 at Toys r Us

·
Registered
372 Posts
We use racquetballs. I didn't know about the tennis ball controversy, but we prefer the racquetballs anyway because they last longer since there's no felt to be pulled on or seams to puncture, and they clean off easily if they roll through dirt.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The safety of toys is sometimes more dependent on how your dog plays with them. If your dog is the type to consume his or her toys, then yes, many toys such as tennis balls can be dangerous. Dogs like this need to be somewhat restricted from having many toys unsupervised. If that is not how your dog plays then I would consider tennis balls perfectly fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.