Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is shredding her tennis ball into pieces. The fiber on the surface of the ball is coming off, and she might be swallowing it. Is that safe? Can we still have her play with the ball?

·
Super Moderator
1,826 Posts
I'd take the ball away - if she swallowed any fibre it would probably pass through but there is always a risk of choking.

Actually, a lot of dogs' teeth get worn down by the abrasive fibre on tennis balls so I use plastic balls.

If your dog likes to rip things like this you can make a great game of it by hiding pieces of food loosely wrapped in newspaper or folded into old toilet roll tubes. Its messy but easy to clear up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dog is shredding her tennis ball into pieces. The fiber on the surface of the ball is coming off, and she might be swallowing it. Is that safe? Can we still have her play with the ball?
No. It is not safe for your dog to play with a ball like that. Your dog can choke it easily. It will create a worse situation for you and your dog. If your dog loves to shred things, then give him something else. But if your dog loves to play with ball, then you can give him chewable balls or toys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts