Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, from the chilly Midwest! On 8/11, I adopted this lil fella from a local rescue at 8 weeks of age. I was told he was a boxer mix, and after contacting the rescue to see why they said that (did they know anything about the parents???) I found they said "boxer mix" simply due to his brindle coat. Nothing was known about the parents' breeds as the entire litter was abandoned.
After having him for 4+ months, I have determined there is really no "boxer-like" traits to him! He has topped out at about 35 lbs, 18 inches tall and is really snuggly, affectionate, loyal to a fault and sensitive. he tends to back away from strangers regardless of my actions towards them but warms to them after about 15-20 minutes. He has NO aggressive or un-friendly bones in his body. He loves all other dogs-to a fault; he doesn't understand not all dogs want to play and not all dogs are "dog-friendly". He loves to be outside, run, sniff and find everything and swims like a fish!
My daughter and I ran across the Tennessee Treeing Brindle (TTB)- an AKC breed that is really a mix of a Cur and a Plott Hound, but are almost always a tiger-striped brindle. Curious if anyone has any experience with this breed, has one or knows anything about it. "Google" and the AKC seem to describe my lil guy to a tee with the breed and I have sent off a Wisdom Panel DNA test. The problem is the Wisdom panel (and the Embark) do not test specifically for the TTB so I am not sure what to look for with the results to determine of he is a TTB. The first picture below is a TTB from the AKC page, the remaining pics are of my Odie (Oden).

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
The thing with rarer breeds is that it's just very unlikely that such rare dogs would end up having a litter and being abandoned. Really, a hound/lab mix could give this kind of mix too (I love brindle dogs, so gorgeous). If you see cur and hound in the results though, you'll have your answer.

Either way, keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Brindles found in a lot of different breeds and its way more likely your dog is a mix that looks similar to (honestly a very generic looking) rare breed. He is statistically likely to have bully breed like American pit bull terrier in him (which may be where the brindle comes from) and maybe some hound, spaniel, and/or retriever as well (my guess based on the floppy ears). Many American mutts will also have a bit of chow chow and/or German Shepherd at the great grandparent level or further back due to those breeds being very very popular in some areas in the 80s and 90s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your dog looks almost exactly like my dog (mine has more white). They could be Brothers. I believe they are both Tennessee Treeing Brindle. Our story is the same as yours too. I was told he was a Boxer. But he topped out at 42 pounds. The person that replied to this thread calling your dog "generic looking" has no idea what he's saying. They are quite unique. That's why they are so difficult to identify. Also, like you, I just did a genealogy test on mine (waiting for results). I'm disappointed to learn that they (embark vet) also don't have TTB as a breed they can ID. Not even "Mountain Cur", which I believe is the broader category. I had been thinking mine was a "Bogle" (Beagle-Boxer). But after learning of TTB, I'm convinced that's what he is. All the info on AKC matches perfectly. He's even from Newport, Tennessee.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I came across this thread as I was searching my dog we just got from a shelter. We were told he is a Blue Heeler mix and the brindle coloration is very similar to your dog. I'm very curious what you found out regarding your dogs DNA.

Good morning, from the chilly Midwest! On 8/11, I adopted this lil fella from a local rescue at 8 weeks of age. I was told he was a boxer mix, and after contacting the rescue to see why they said that (did they know anything about the parents???) I found they said "boxer mix" simply due to his brindle coat. Nothing was known about the parents' breeds as the entire litter was abandoned.
After having him for 4+ months, I have determined there is really no "boxer-like" traits to him! He has topped out at about 35 lbs, 18 inches tall and is really snuggly, affectionate, loyal to a fault and sensitive. he tends to back away from strangers regardless of my actions towards them but warms to them after about 15-20 minutes. He has NO aggressive or un-friendly bones in his body. He loves all other dogs-to a fault; he doesn't understand not all dogs want to play and not all dogs are "dog-friendly". He loves to be outside, run, sniff and find everything and swims like a fish!
My daughter and I ran across the Tennessee Treeing Brindle (TTB)- an AKC breed that is really a mix of a Cur and a Plott Hound, but are almost always a tiger-striped brindle. Curious if anyone has any experience with this breed, has one or knows anything about it. "Google" and the AKC seem to describe my lil guy to a tee with the breed and I have sent off a Wisdom Panel DNA test. The problem is the Wisdom panel (and the Embark) do not test specifically for the TTB so I am not sure what to look for with the results to determine of he is a TTB. The first picture below is a TTB from the AKC page, the remaining pics are of my Odie (Oden).

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
She definitely is a Treeing Tennessee Brindle dog, not sure if she has other mixes in her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! Two and a half years ago, I got my sweet girl Jules (from Craigslist), whom I was told a TWC/Pit mix. Recent events have had me second-guessing that, though I don't mind if she is. I've only just become aware of the existence of the TTB breed, so I'm interested and excited in the possibility of her being one. She bears a pretty good resemblance to a TTB, though I know that doesn't mean much. Eventually, I'll get a DNA test for her but till then it's all speculation. No matter what she is, I'll love her regardless. Here are a couple of pictures of her for reference! She's kind of hard to capture lol
IMG-4134.JPG IMG-4424.JPG IMG-1902.jpg IMG-1670.jpg IMG-2223.jpg

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts