Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I was wondering if its possible to get temporary contraception for a Dog. My boyfriends mum wants to breed Missy (our Yorkie) and get Shadow neutered but I want to keep him entire as I want him in the future as a stud dog. He is also rather nervous of buses, tall men, loud noises such as speaking loud but not shouting and raised hands or hands near his face. He has been hit a few times by my boyfriends mum for chewing the wallpaper. I think it would ruin him anyway if he got neutered.
Ive googled it but couldnt find much.
Any help would be great.
Thanks Marni, Shadow and Missy

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Hello
I was wondering if its possible to get temporary contraception for a Dog. My boyfriends mum wants to breed Missy (our Yorkie) and get Shadow neutered but I want to keep him entire as I want him in the future as a stud dog. He is also rather nervous of buses, tall men, loud noises such as speaking loud but not shouting and raised hands or hands near his face. He has been hit a few times by my boyfriends mum for chewing the wallpaper. I think it would ruin him anyway if he got neutered.
Any help would be great.
Please do not breed your dog. There are enough yorkies in this world without homes...way too many. Have you even done the research on breeding and what it all entails? A dog who has been abused and is skittish should NOT be bred, he is not a candidate for breeding to be honest. There is no such thing as temporary contraception as far as I am concerned. please neuter your dog, it doesn't ruin them, it saves lives.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I think it would ruin him anyway if he got neutered.
Is this your first dog? Many first time owners think they are doing a diservice 'fixing' their dog. That's absolutely incorrect.

They do not think they are 'manly' because they are intact and they do not miss their 'boy parts'. They are not human and fortunately do not suffer from very human nerosis. AT all.

Neutering will keep your dog from roaming (they will find a way to leave when they smell a bitch in heat), being aggressive, territorial, and marking (marking is sooo fun-stinky pee in your house on everyhing!!!). Unneutered dogs will want to mate-and if you stud him, this will not satisfy him-maybe that day-but not enough. Think of yourself as a sexual being but not being able to do anything about it. Its UNFAIR to not fix them.

As pawz touched on-there are WAY too many pets in shelters for people to be breeding.

Leave the breeding to the professionals. Your dog could easily suffer complications from breeding and die! Did you know dogs get STDs??? Do you want to risk your dogs life for money? I know you don't.

So you want to be a breeder?

Reasons to Neuter
  • All male dogs will mark their territory with urine so they may urinate inside your home.
    Roaming! They tend to wander, especially if there is a bitch on heat. They might wander onto a road and get run over.
  • Testicular cancer. Male dogs can develop testicular cancer and prostate problems. These conditions can all be fatal, cause pain and suffering to your dog.
  • Unwanted mating! Straying males can make a lot of females pregnant, causing many unwanted litters of puppies. Every year there are more than 90 000 unwanted dogs coming into rescue centers.
Reasons to Spay
  • Unwanted puppies! She might find an inappropriate ‘boyfriend’ and get pregnant.False pregnancy. Many dogs suffer from false pregnancies, which can make them moody and unpredictable. They also put on weight and can lactate. Some even adopts slippers and other objects as their puppies, and can become aggressive and protective.
  • Pyometra. This is an infection, which a bitch can develop in their uterus after a season. (Typically 2 to 3 months after a season). It’s a potentially fatal infection if not treated in time.
  • Mammary Tumors. It has been proven scientifically that bitches that are not spayed are more likely to get mammary tumors. These tumors can spread to vital organs which can be fatal.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
the only reason to breed your dog is if he already exhibits the traits that are considered desirable in a yorkie. if he does not....and you have stated that he does not...temperament is very important, you should not breed him. http://www.westwinddogtraining.com/NatureNurture.pdf
you will only add an undesirable trait to his offspring and it will continue to be passed on down the line...
NAIA: Are there too many dogs and cats?
of all the dogs that are euthanized every year at shelters, it is estimated that 25% of them are purebred dogs......

the easiest and most likely healthiest thing you can do for your dog is to have him neutered.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt say I wanted to breed her, I said my boyfriends mum wants too. Its a nasty little dog it growls and bites at 12 weeks old (Shads and Missy arent really my dogs, I only say that as its my boyfriends).
I dont want to advertise Shadow as a stud I have friends who want to breed from him, because of his looks and temperment. My local vet has asked me about breeding him with her dog but I said hes not hip scored yet, she said him being hit a few times wont affect the pups and his skittishness of big vehicles comes from getting loose and being hit by a large vehicle (back gate left open by my boyfriends 11 year old sister), it put its brakes on and only knocked him over just gave him a scratch on his leg. And a good dog is okay to breed from its the people who breed for money. I was going to breed with my friend for a bitch for company for Shadow.
I do not want to be a breeder just mate Shadow once or twice with a friends bitch.
I wasnt asking for everyones opinion on the breeding anyway I was asking about Temporary Contraception
Thanks Marni, Shadow and Missy.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
And a good dog is okay to breed from its the people who breed for money.

or the people who breed non titled, non health tested dogs.

The only way to prove a good dog is through...well proof....health screening and titles. There are millions of extra dogs that are good pets already.

Toy breeds regularly need ceasarians. Does your friend have a spare $2000 for a c section? Has the bitch been tested for brucellosis? Is she health tested or titled? What registry do you use?

Why do you need to breed to "get your dog company" when you can either purchase or rescue another yorkie?

This is a forum, you don't always get the answer you want. When we see red flags, they are hard to ignore. Anyone who is even thinking about breeding should already know the answer to your question. Thats like saying you want to be a race car driver, but don't know kind of gas to put in your car. Its the chicken before the egg.

Did you even glance at the provide links?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I didnt say I wanted to breed her, I said my boyfriends mum wants too. Its a nasty little dog it growls and bites at 12 weeks old (Shads and Missy arent really my dogs, I only say that as its my boyfriends).
I dont want to advertise Shadow as a stud I have friends who want to breed from him, because of his looks and temperment. My local vet has asked me about breeding him with her dog but I said hes not hip scored yet, she said him being hit a few times wont affect the pups and his skittishness of big vehicles comes from getting loose and being hit by a large vehicle (back gate left open by my boyfriends 11 year old sister), it put its brakes on and only knocked him over just gave him a scratch on his leg. And a good dog is okay to breed from its the people who breed for money. I was going to breed with my friend for a bitch for company for Shadow.
I do not want to be a breeder just mate Shadow once or twice with a friends bitch.
I wasnt asking for everyones opinion on the breeding anyway I was asking about Temporary Contraception
Thanks Marni, Shadow and Missy.
Soooo...you are saying your dogs temperament is outstanding? LOL I don't think so...your vet sounds like a moron IMO. Stop hitting your dog. You want to be a BYB that's clear in your statements. Don't breed your dog. Don't mention breeding your dog if you do not want opinions on such a horrible idea.

Temporary Contraception for a dog? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Temporary Comtraception for Dogs

There is some aceptable temporary contraception drugs for dogs and cats.

SUPRELORIN, from Peptech Animal Health ( Australia)- 6 to 12 months of infertility. ( it is a silicone implant)

GONAZON, also a silicone implant.

Good luck!

Please do not breed your dog. There are enough yorkies in this world without homes...way too many. Have you even done the research on breeding and what it all entails? A dog who has been abused and is skittish should NOT be bred, he is not a candidate for breeding to be honest. There is no such thing as temporary contraception as far as I am concerned. please neuter your dog, it doesn't ruin them, it saves lives.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Neutering will keep your dog from roaming (they will find a way to leave when they smell a bitch in heat), being aggressive, territorial, and marking (marking is sooo fun-stinky pee in your house on everyhing!!!). Unneutered dogs will want to mate-and if you stud him, this will not satisfy him-maybe that day-but not enough. Think of yourself as a sexual being but not being able to do anything about it. Its UNFAIR to not fix them.
Not true at all. I understand the importance of s/n some pets. But false propaganda gives people the wrong impression and at times the dog pays the price. I've know several people who bought into the "it will prevent aggression" lie and unfortunately their dogs were killed (pts) because of it. They don't understand why their dog bites, growls at people, gets into fights with other dogs, kills cats. Of course anyone ignorant enough to believe neutering is "magic" isn't going to understand why dogs do these things, how to apply behavior modification and manage their dog. Neutering won't change a dogs core temperament nor prevent manifestation of aggression. The "lucky" ones end up at the shelter.

Dogs roam because their owners allow them to. A responsible owners dog isn't roaming the street. There is no excuse for it and it doesn't matter if they are intact or altered. Certain breeds are prone to roaming and good escape artist so you need to be watchful of your dog and vigilant, especially if intact, you don't want him making pups. But you still need to be concerned if they are altered because loose dogs end up hit by cars, poisoned, in the pound, ect.

People should train their dogs. It isn't hard to house train imo. I'd never tolerate marking in my house. It's unacceptable and sounds disgusting.

Coincidentally to the op my dog was attacked by an altered Yorkie, my vicious dangerous labeled dog did nothing to the lil thing hanging off of her. Lol Yorkie can be territorial and also tenacious at times, thank goodness they are small dogs. This wasn't my only incident with one and they say Pits have lock jaw.

Leave the breeding to the professionals. Your dog could easily suffer complications from breeding and die! Did you know dogs get STDs??? Do you want to risk your dogs life for money? I know you don't.
Couldn't agree more.

Reasons to Neuter
  • All male dogs will mark their territory with urine so they may urinate inside your home.
    Roaming! They tend to wander, especially if there is a bitch on heat. They might wander onto a road and get run over.
  • Testicular cancer. Male dogs can develop testicular cancer and prostate problems. These conditions can all be fatal, cause pain and suffering to your dog.
  • Unwanted mating! Straying males can make a lot of females pregnant, causing many unwanted litters of puppies. Every year there are more than 90 000 unwanted dogs coming into rescue centers.

• Wrong. I have males which don't even lift their leg to pee, let alone do they attempt to mark.
    This doesn't address the fact neutered males mark. My worse was a altered, he'd hike on our things in the backyard. A close. 2nd intact but at least he only wanted to pee on poles while walking (easily curbed with training) and a few fence poles and a tree in the backyard.

To make an informed decision one should also gives the increased health risk of neutering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SpicyBulldog, Your post was great! I couldn't agree more with you.

People should remember that dogs are individuals with very distinct personalities. Neutering or Spaying will not transform your dogs into
"the perfect toy" .

Pets ARE NOT TOYS! They are not perfect either. They are loving
living creatures, and they all need daily exercise, proper training, and
committed owners.

The matter of spaying or neutering is a deep one...
... I can tell, in Europe( in general) the approach is very different. Most dogs are not altered and the vets do not recommend the procedure.

I believe more research should be done in order to reach more acceptable and accessible contraceptives for our pets without risking their health or altering them permanently.

In USA, the association of Good Behavior (social acceptable dogs) = Spayed or Neutered dogs, Its to say the least, sad and misleading.
Altering your dog will make your pet less active: it will sleep more, it will gain weight easily, and it wont change his personality.

·
Banned
795 Posts
Hello
Any help would be great.
Why would you want to breed a dog that been abused?? I think you get your dog neutered as he could have traits that will be pasted on and they're are not good one. I hope people will stop hitting your dog before he end up biting someone. An animal can only take so much abused , and has only two ways to go , it be become timid and not trust any person or it get very aggressive. I have seen dogs that been abused , my older sister got one that been abused and no one could go near the dog , she just hide all day.. And the dog was going to be a watch dog!! I think it a real bad idea to breed a dog that get nervous so easy! This is really not fair for people looking for a dog for their kids. Do the right thing and get your dog fixed and you should not let other people decide what to do with your dog. I wouldn't.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Guys!!! This thread is ANCIENT!!!!!!!!!! It's more then 3 years old!!!!! No need to post here. If you want to talk about something other then you personaly wanting your dog to have a contraception, please make a new thread :)

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
This thread is ridiculously old. Closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.