Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am taking care of my friend's 7 year old "Puggle" for two weeks."

I find her behaviour is rather interesting and sometimes difficult. She LOVES to get into anything she can the moment you're not looking!! If there is a bag of dog treats on the table and you leave the room for just 2 minutes, that bag of dog treats will be gone. (learned this while at my friend's house) So I have found that I need to either have her in her kennel or on a leash following me around the house. I have quite honestly never had this problem with Chester. He doesn't take what is not given to him. She will loot search through my sweater pockets and jackets for treats in the pockets! 0.0

She is very allergic to a lot of things so I really have to watch her to make sure she doesn't eat anything she shouldn't. I always need to tell my brothers not to feed her anything, which has proved hard for them.

So I was wondering if you guys have any ideas for dealing with this. I have used interrupting sounds to stop her a lot of the time. But I feel like I am looking after a puppy rather then a 7 year old dog sometimes. I am sure this is a common problem so there is probably a lot of information on this. :ponder:

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Temporarily the reality is you are not likely to be able to change her behavior, so about all your can do, short term is pretty much what you are doing, watch her, and restrict her access to areas she is likely to get into trouble. The upside is it will all be over in two weeks.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Put treats and food away where they are out of reach of the dog, and if your brothers are impossible to reason with, put THEM in a cage or tether them to you for the duration of the day. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put treats and food away where they are out of reach of the dog, and if your brothers are impossible to reason with, put THEM in a cage or tether them to you for the duration of the day. :)
She is a jumper. She can jump really high to get to what she wants. So that would be very difficult to put EVERYTHING she wants where she can't reach.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update. I figured out the main contribution to this dogs problem. Normally her owner only gets her out once or twice a week and obviously that is not enough. So of course when I got she arrived she was obnoxious and crazy. I take her out daily and I started noticing her behaviour got better the longer she was here. She simply needed more exercise, which makes total sense. Now She can be trusted around the house, though I still feel the need to keep a close eye on where abouts she is. I am happy I found what she needed. I think she is a lot more content now. She is noticeably trimmer as well from the daily exercise so I am quite pleased. Maybe I can talk my friend into taking her out more. I will be saying by to Paisly (the dog), on Wednesday morning. Its been good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts