Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MOST pet owners say their pet picked them, rather then the other way around. And we all have stories of how they came to live with us-so share how did your dog(s) and other pets come to be your baby?

Mikey:
We were looking for a dog because we bought our first home and could finally get one! The community we live in has breed restrictions (Stupid ones imo-no shepherds, pitts, or terriers) and no higher then 18" at the shoulder. To add, Dave said our dog had to be white or light colored and have up ears.
We looked at shiba inu's -we both like northern looking dogs, and they look like mini-akita's. We found a wonderful reputable breeder, but after meeting them we realized-waaaaay too high energy for us.

So I was tearful and disappointed and hopped on petfinder looking for 'small' and 'adult' dogs (we didn't want a puppy, don't have time for potty training, plus pups always find homes, we wanted a dog who needed a home) and I found Mikey-he was known as Petey at the time and we saw videos of him and pounced.

Once approved we had to pay boarding for four weeks to hold him for us, because we couldn't come get him right away. He was five hours away so we couldn't even visit-I watched the three videos' every day- i missed him before we met him!

After the drive, to meet him-he rushed out and fell at my feet then snorked and licked the crud out of me. He was sooo friendly. We took him for a walk and then on the drive home had to stop a lot because he was soooo anxious in the car (he layed on the ground with his head under the seats shaking). He was soo sweet-we were so happy. And only a five hour drive to find a great dog who satisfied all those requirements!

Kokanee: Shes my bridge bunny, gone now. She was amazing-I really miss her still. I went to a petstore to get a toy for Mandy-my parent's dog-and saw the buns. Thought I'd look. She was amazing-totally interested in everything, clamoring to get out. Not what I'd seen in buns-shaking and hiding. She was not like that at all. I remembered-I am an adult and live on my own. So I made the decision and had them box her up and took her home. She showed me how to look after rabbits, quickly realizing I knew nothing. She litter trained as soon as I bought a box, she was awesome.

Kahlua-rabbit: We bought her from a breeder; dave said I could have a second bun only if it was a lionhead becasue he liked the way they look. I searched all the shelters in the closest four provinces (road trip!) but coudn't find any as they were a very new breed. Found a reputable breeder and bought her that day. She fit in cup holders she was so small. She immediately got on with my original bunny Kokanee (often you have to spend a long time bonding them)/

Rupert: I saw his big dumb face on the humane society website. Started bugging Dave but he wouldn't budge. I was at the pet expo working the booth for the zoo and saw him there-he was terrified and huddled in the corner of his cage. To boot-reading his kennel card, I learned he had a crooked leg from an old break during the time he was a stray.
I started bawling, phoned dave and put my foot down. We had to wait for the expo to end, and phoned in sick to work on Monday and went to adopt him.

Chuck: My first bunny Kokanee had passed away and I had a limit of three-so room for one more. I wanted special needs. I found him in a rabbit rescue in Vancouver (15 hrs away) and applied. She wondered if we expected her to get him to us-but I assured her the drive was fine, and wanted to go to Van for a weekend anyways. He was blind, missing one eye from severe neglect; He had been stolen from a porch of a crackhouse by a little girl who could not stand to see it anymore-he was kept in a hamster cage and eating his litter to survive. I had to have him. We stopped in Calgary and picked up my girlfriend and headed down to vancouver to pick him up. It was a great trip. When we got him home-we discovered he was deaf too-so he's my little hellen keller bun.

Noot: I was running a rabbit shelter and we had this bun come up from calgary-the owners were moving overseas, and even though he was senior we agreed to take him. He quickly stopped eating-a look at vet records soon proved why-he had lost his bonded bunny friend who'd just passed away, and his human family and was heart broken. I made an executive decision and brought him home. He quickly took to Chuck (and they've been inseprable ever since) and started eating like a little pig right away. He was less then a pound when I brought him home-skin and bone, and he's almost four now!

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Kitty: was about to move and wanted a dog to take with me, as I was going to be home alone a lot and my work encourages me to bring my dogs. Went to check out a breeder and was horrified to find the 6 month old puppies in disgusting conditions. Took one home and reported the breeder. Kitty will probably never be 100% comfortable with new people but loves other dogs and is vey bonded to me.

Molly: at work; man carried her in and said "I found this dog on the freeway, you guys will take it right?" and we said no, can't do that it's agains policy. So he says "ok I'll just go put her back where I found her." my manager grabbed Molly and brought her into the breakroom where I was and said "found you a dog."

riot: adopted from shelter event at my work. My manager saw him on the truck Nd brought him straight to me and said "this is your dog" (he had the perfect look). I walked him around all day and taught him sit, ended up signing the papers and bringing him home the same day. He just had the cutesy goofy dog smile! :D

Breezy: just picked the most outgoing pup in the litter lol she invited me to play, ran to mess with the other puppies a bit, and then came back to see why I hadn't followed. Cutie pie.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Scotty: Told my hubby I wanted a dog. Started looked at rescues. Saw him on the website, read his story and told hubby, "There's our dog!" Emailed the rescue about a million times (bless our fearless leader for being so patient) and went to meet him over the weekend. Yep, that was my dog.

Rascal: Was looking on petfinder and saw a puppy they said was a sheltie. Went to look. Not a sheltie but a lovable little puff ball! Underneath the puff ball's cage was this little guy. Sheltie/pom mix. After much ado, I went to get him from the Humane Society to bring him into rescue. I actually adopted him from the Humane Society. Well I called the Pres of the rescue while I was in the parking lot of the Humane Society to tell her I had him. As I was talking to her, I looked over and he was standing on the console between the seats. He reached over and licked my nose. He never went to rescue. He was Mama's boy immediately.

Tigger: Our new little foster girl. She's been in rescue for about 6 months but required a lot of treatment and care due to her Cushings. Well a month ago, my hubby saw her for the first time and fell in love. So we're fostering her for now. None of us thinks she's very adoptable because she's 8, she's nearly blind and she has Cushings. Her meds are expensive. So she'll likely live out her days with us. And that's ok. She's a very special little girl.

Trouble and Little Bit: Hubby had a cat that lived to be 26. We had to have her put down in Oct of last year. A few weeks later, he was missing her so badly that I told him we needed to go find an adult female cat that needed us. Maybe 2. I knew there had to be one somewhere. So we drove all over the area to various humane societies, etc. He's stay for awhile, pet for awhile and say, "My cat's not here." Well, finally we were holding 2 black and white kittens. The one I was holding (Trouble) started purring. He was the only one that purred. Hubby said, "If you want that one, I'll take this one" and we did. So our adult female turned out to be 2 male kittens,

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my manager grabbed Molly and brought her into the breakroom where I was and said "found you a dog."
That is too funny!!

None of us thinks she's very adoptable because she's 8, she's nearly blind and she has Cushings. Her meds are expensive. So she'll likely live out her days with us. And that's ok.
Awww that's so sweet of you :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
She's already become Daddy's baby girl. :) I can tell you that NO ONE ELSE could get Daddy up every morning at 5 to go outside and go potty. :) :) :) My hubby is just nuts about her. She's a special little girl.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there Mikey,
My German Shepherd bitch picked me at only 6 weeks of age! It was Christmas day when she was advertised and of course the bank was shut and I didn't quite have enough money for her first shots as well. I picked her as she was the runt of the litter and I didn't want TOO big and exuberant a dog, as well as being beautiful. When I went back a fortnight later after paying a deposit to the breeder, she came running out of the remaining 3 pups and flew into my hands, remembering me from only 6 weeks of age, and only one cuddle! Smart dog, my girl, and much loved. Can't wait to get her back from the boarding kennnel. I'm going to visit her shortly, after uni exams.....looking forward to it! Cheers Jewels

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i've had so many pets...with so many stories...
...this post is for my puppyrabbit!(can you tell i wanted a dog...lol..) i was living w my then boyfriend in a "group-housing" or employee housing in yosemite, for many reasons you weren't allowed dogs or cats in that situation, only pets that "lived in a cage" i'd had bunnies before, and always loved them...one day i went to a pet store w my friend (who was really into tropical fish) and they had a cage full of baby bunnies, i couldn't help myself, i had to touch them i kept trying to catch this one really cute little guy with a white patch on his head, but everytime i would...this annoying solid black one would jump into my hand...over and over again, i kept pushing her away, but she was relentless, i was like "sheesh, get outta the way!" then i was like duh!!!! this one likes me, she didn't do that to anyone else who put their hands in...well, i hadn't intended on getting a bunny that day, but i just couldn't leave without her. i had to borrow money from my friend to get all of the necessities for her, (at the time i didn't realize about rescue:eek::eek::eek:) and i brought her home...i was so afraid my bf was going to be mad about it, but at the time he was really excited about her...should've seen him and all his buddies fighting over who got to hold the bunny "the bunny wants to sit on uncle ben's lap" "no, she wants to hang out with uncle austin" lol...we were very pet deprived in ynp...my puppy rabbit was the best bunny ever, she probably has pictures all over the world too (people always got excited when they'd see me taking her for a walk) and she had more friends there then i did, i would come home and find her cuddling up with other people...she followed me all over the place, did some tricks...was my greatest comfort when i broke up with that idiot, and she was my friend...i'll never forget how adament she was about being in my hand that day at the pet store....talk about a pet choosing you...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sadie-I had always wanted a black lab...when the day came I could finally have one I called around to the local shelters/kennels and one kennel was boarding a lab puppy for a woman who realized she may have to give her up. She loved Sadie, but found she wasn't able to spend enough time with her.

We drove to the kennel to check her out....I sat on the floor...she climbed into my lap and kissed my whole face....it was love at first lick. We adopted her from the owner and had her for 13 wonderful, love filled years!!!!

After our Sadie was gone, I just couldn't bear being without a dog in the house. I searched Petfinder for weeks....and then came across our Stella's photo. Something about her little face and eyes....out of the hundreds of dogs I looked at online...hers was the face that I had to have.

We adopted her back in June....and are head over heels in love with her. She is so smart...so affectionate. We rescued her and she rescued us right back!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*bump*

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Cleo walked over and peed on my boot.

Missy followed me around the shelter play area. The rest of the coonhounds that were brought in with her played by themselves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Meg...got her from a woman who had no idea how to look after a dog. She was 15 weeks old and living in the kitchen with her sister and two brothers. I was 14 and used to visit the puppies daily, I adored them, especially meg who was shyla then. Anyway the women was looking for money to buy her beer. Well in a couple of days meg was the only pup left and she asked me to have her for £10! Well it took me 4 hours to get my mum to say yes. I begged, bribed and cried untill she said yes. I brought her home the next day and never looked back.

I then came by my second Vinnie, a GSD when I was 16 working at a vets. He was brought in from a rescue centre after being hit by a car and having permeant nerve damage in his left front leg. He was an older boy. I fell in love and took him home! He was with me for six months till his hips went and that only left him with 1 good leg so we decided the kindest thing for him was to have him pts. He is now on my mantle piece.

Frey I got last june. I was at a pub with some friends. I went outside to smoke and a man came along with a tiny pup on a belt. He tied her her up outside and went in. I went out to leave 2 hours later and she was still tied up. On a big, huge whim I went in and asked the bloke if I could give him £20 for her. He said yes and I took her with the intention of re homing her. A year and a half later she is still with me.

I have had cody since the 9th of october this year. He lived on my friends farm and was training to be a sheepdog until he suddenly decided that he was terrified of sheep. So he came to live with me and my girls. He is my baby!

Pheonix is my newest edition. He has officially mine for a week. He wandered into my garden a week and a half ago. After the dog warden located his owner they said they didnt want him anymore so he is staying put

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sassy- We finally moved to a place where we could have a dog without a huge pet deposit. Hubby, my oldest son, our daughter and I went to the shelter to look for a dog. I told my hubby I only have 3 rules (yeah I posted this in another thread sorry for repost) No females, no puppies, no northern breeds. After sending about 2 hours there and dog after dog not fitting with us for one reason or another we were getting ready to leave. We actually watched a person bring Sassy back to the pens and put her in. I looked at her and said NO. Walked out put my daughter in the car and waited for the boys. Hubby was mad and my son was crying. I started the car just to hear the whimpering of my son... I looked at my husband and said fine but YOU have to brush her. We have had her for 8 yrs now I think I can count the times he has brushed her on one hand. lol

Star- Hubby and I went into what we were told was a rescue. We were looking at puppies (this was not unusually as I would visit pounds to spend time with the dogs) I visit every puppy but one. I always wanted a Yorkshire but I wanted one from a breeder so I knew the history of the dog. I refused to even pet the little Yorkie and I knew what would happen. Next thing I know Hubby turns to me and askes me to "hold this" while he gets something... it was the yorkie.

Clyde- We moved into the house we live in now. I can see the back yard of our neighbors from my kitchen window. There was always these 2 white dogs back there and the bigger one was always fighting with the smaller one. Day after day I watched, when it was warm out and I had the windows open I could hear the little one cry and scream. He was breaking my heart, so I went to talk to the neighbors after a few weeks to get to know them better. They are a nice older couple whose health is declining and they can no long handle the 2 dogs in the house so the keep them outside. I find out then there are 3 dogs.. mama, daddy and son. Mama is fixed now. I get to meet the dogs and fall head over heals for Clyde. He runs in and straight to my lap. He almost knocks me over and it feels as though he is stuck there. A few weeks later I ask the people if I can have Clyde. I told my husband it was only till I could find a rescue that would put him on the net and help me find a home for him, but as time went on I just couldnt let him go.

Now for the cats...
Mario- We went to the shelter and this cat got on my husbands shoulders and would not get off. Everyone tried but he just would not budge so I told hubby someone has adopted you.

Sweety- She was as stray we feed from a few houses ago.. when we went to move I told hubby we cant leave her we have fed her for a year she thinks this is home. So she came with us, over all she took pretty good to inside life.

Alice & Carlo- Our latest additions.. One of hubbys co-workers sons cats got out and came back... pregnant. When the kittens were born he was so upset and didnt know what he was going to do about the kittens. One of our cats (not going into it still hurts) came up missing after we moved to our house, so we thought a kitten might help the kids since we cant find the lost cat. Alice picked the kids she marched right up the our daughter and sat beside her while looking up. The kids played, petted and picked her up but she never ran away. Then I saw Carlos.... I always wanted a long haired black cat and there sat a shy black with white toes and chin fuzz ball. He wasnt happy with the kids but wasnt mean either. They are now 8 months old and are chaotic fuzzyballs of the house.

It is a full house but it is a happy one.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Well when we first got the pups Belle would whine and whine and whine until I cuddled with her. If anyone else bothered to try to she'd still cry until it was me. I guess this is because on the first night that we got them that I was home I let her sleep with me because she did not want to be alone.

Ever since then she's just always been glued to my heels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts