Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a better food for my cat....and future dog. I honestly hate most common brands because of the ingredients being chicken meal, corn etc. When I get our future dog I want him to have a good food and I've already looked at prices and ingredients. So far it's Blue Buffalo and 4Health brand. However just last night I found one that seems to be even better, though worse with the high price. I just don't know anything about I think because I have never heard of it,which makes me nervous.

Have any of you heard of Orijen? And if you already use it do you like it?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Orijen is a great food as far as dogs are concerned, but it can be a bit to rich for some dogs' stomachs. If you decide to try it I'd get a small bag, in case it doesn't agree with your dog, and do a very slow transition onto it.

I really don't know how cats do on it, but I do know that cats should have at least half, or more, of there diet be canned food, and get the pate type of food rather then the type with gravy so that it's a low in carbs as possible.

Have you checked out Fromm? It's a decent food at a decent price, again at least as far as dogs are concerned. https://www.chewy.com/s?page=1&rh=brand_facet:Fromm

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly haven't heard of that one either?

Why is the orijen rich? Is it because it's mostly meat based?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
From what I understand it's because it has so many different proteins in a single formula, along with a higher fat percentage then a lot of the other foods. Some dogs do better with only one or two proteins at a time in a food, and / or lower fat.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Orijen is an excellent food, and yes it is rich because of the high protien it contains and many dogs digestive systems cannot handle it..........
If you are interested in small batch manufacturers take a look at the
'Only Natural Pet' brand of dog and cat food. all the formulas are highly rated at dogfoodadvisor.com and are holistic, grainfree, and human grade U.S.A. ingredients! They base their foods on the Paleo diet! Google onlynaturalpet.com It is also sold at Petsmart.
I just purchased a case of the Duck and Turkey canned food and my dog LOVES it as much as she loves her raw food! I intend to try the kibble and dehydrated raw in the future too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts