Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... like Stella & Chewy's or Sojos etc, etc.

Oscar and I will be taking a road trip from CO to VT, and I can't see being able to feed him raw for the trip and the week stay in VT - I will be training (as will Oscar) so this is not a vacation for us. I am thinking that some kind of dehydrated raw food that I could just add water to would be a good alternative. But I am not really familiar with the brands and ingredients. Is there a good place online to compare the various products?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I've used both Honest Kitchen and Sojo's and the first thing to tell you is that when you re-hydrate them with the suggested amount of water they are a little on the 'soupy' side .......they do get a little thicker if you let them soak for awhile, but my girl is so used to having 'real' raw she didn't much care for the watery texture so I ended up having to add a canned 95% meat dog food so it wouldn't go to waste! ( I had to make it stinky! LOL)
I no longer use either but I did find one she loved and that was the K9 Naturals dehydrated green tripe......she inhaled that !!! It's Pricey!

Reactions: Gnostic Dog

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
You could try chewy.com for prices and dogfoodadvisor.com for ingredients. Freeze dried raw, as with any prepared raw meals, is pretty pricey, so be prepared for that. I am more inclined to suggest Stella and Chewy's just based on the fact that it is fairly wide spread and can be found in most pet stores if you find you bought too little and need to make a pit stop.

Would you consider feeding Orijen kibble for your trip? I find it's less expensive (if you find that to be a problem) than commercial raw and a lot more convenient on the road. I know a lot people who feed raw sometimes denounce kibble all together, but Orijen is probably the closest to raw a kibble can get if it comes to that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I feed Tucker Orijen freeze dried raw when on a trip and can't manage to do raw, He's pretty happy with it and I don't see a huge difference between how he is on that and how he is on raw.

One thing to note. It comes in pucks and I find the rehydrating instructions suck. They tell you to break it each puck into 4 pieces and add water, I've never found that to work. I'll break it up into much smaller bits, add the water, let it sit, give it a stir, let it sit some more, about a 5 minute process in total. I believe you can also feed it dry if needed.

·
Registered
724 Posts
As far as kibbles if you are willing to feed one on the trip, Rawz is a newer kibble that is awesome as well. Right on par with Orijen in terms of quality and I feel they use less unnecessary ingredients. Also certified low glycemic.

As far as freeze dried raw, I'd go with Stella and Chewy's or Sojo's. I trust the quality of both. Wouldn't go with Honest Kitchen, overpriced box of potatoes if you ask me. Causes my dog terrible gas as well(although she has a sensitive tummy!)

Good luck with whatever you do and enjoy VT!!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*Follow up* We leave for VT on Friday, and decided to take both raw and air-dried raw. I will be needing to fed Oscar his food during our training sessions, so while I can do it with raw, it is likely to get a bit icky to say the least!

So, here is what I went with, has anyone given this? I gave Oscar a handful and he loves it!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I haven't tried it, but would be glad if you can let us know how it worked out!

I have to leave Bri at a friends house at the end of September for a week and I'm not sure if I want to burden her with the raw food, or go with something dehydrated.

Has anyone ever tried to dehydrate (with a dehydrator) your own raw for travelling and such? Sure, the teeth health effect gets lost but for a short period of time this should be okay?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't tried it, but would be glad if you can let us know how it worked out!

I have to leave Bri at a friends house at the end of September for a week and I'm not sure if I want to burden her with the raw food, or go with something dehydrated.

Has anyone ever tried to dehydrate (with a dehydrator) your own raw for travelling and such? Sure, the teeth health effect gets lost but for a short period of time this should be okay?
We are currently in VT and Oscar is in training and using the Real Meat dog food, he is loving it, his poops are a bit larger but well-formed and a good color (sorry TMI).

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Poop is important, good to know. When we did a cooked food trial, his poops were larger as well. How's the training sessions going?
Going great. We are on our lunch break and he is sleeping. We are slowly but surely getting him to be able to access his gut area or in NDT speak, his center of gravity (c.o.g.) to be able to get the bark out and we are also working on "bite and carry". I am learning so much theory my head is spinning!

It is quite shocking how detrimental most of his training has been, I feel terrible, but I can't beat myself up too much, we all do the best we can with what we know. But Kevin Behan usually works with the worst of the worst, so he described Oscar as "the cream of the crop". LOL

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
It is quite shocking how detrimental most of his training has been, I feel terrible, but I can't beat myself up too much, we all do the best we can with what we know.
So very, very true. I'm glad to hear the food is working well, we are going to watch the sheepdog trials back home this weekend and we will need to give them something easily transported.

Reactions: Gnostic Dog

·
Registered
256 Posts
We are currently in VT and Oscar is in training and using the Real Meat dog food, he is loving it, his poops are a bit larger but well-formed and a good color (sorry TMI).
Not TMI at all! Thanks for the info, so I have an alternative if I need one for boarding/friends/vacation :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts