Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3.5 month only puppy (14 weeks this week!) is clearly teething but she's only interested in caloric chews (bully sticks, dentasticks) and nothing else. I can't seem to get her to chew on kongs filled with frozen (or not) treats, frozen washcloths, soft toys, hard toys, smooth toys, rough toys, rope toys etc. She won't even really engage with these things by herself or even when I try to play with them and her. She loves chewing on sticks (eek) and woodchips and furniture....

Is this ok? I'm worried because she's teething and the only thing she will chew upon that I give her are bully sticks and the like. She will also go for ice cubes, but those melt fast and they rile her up.

Any suggestions or is this normal?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Think of it like a child. Of course they're going to choose garbage junk food over a healthier option. It tastes better! Honestly, I'd just stop with the bully sticks and junk until she's done teething. Make her healthier treats more appetizing... smellier. Fish oil is a godsend for a lot of dogs. One of my favorite things that my brother makes for the Husky in the summer:

Make some kind of yummy, dog-friendly filling. Peanut butter, mix it up with something disgustingly smelly... like a strong cheese and/or fish oil. Carve out the center of an apple and fill it with the mixture. Pop it in the freezer and let it do its job. Voila! Stinky, yummy, healthy dog treat. In moderation, of course... as dogs don't require produce.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We introduced bully sitcks as a last resort because she was never into kongs or toys.

Will try some peanut butter cheese mix and see how she does.

I guess there is no way to make your dog like toys?

·
Registered
279 Posts
soak the washcloths with chicken broth, then freeze.
Try a frozen raw meaty bone, but reduce her food a little to compensate, we gave our teething puppy one bone a day, it used to take her a couple of hours!

I personally let my dog chew on sticks and non hazardous outdoor organic matter, however she doesn't eat it, and it is a decision you should make based on how safe you think it would be for her. Some dogs just can't be allowed to chew that stuff.

There is nothing wrong with a bully stick a couple of times a week. You could try the elk/deer antlers, they really last, while they technically are caloric, the rate of chewing is so slow you don't really have to count it as such.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My dogs don't really chew on kongs or toys. They get the food out, and then leave the toy alone. I give them bully sticks or beef trachea all the time (sometimes one per day) and it's worked fine for them.

Sometimes they get raw meaty bones, but that's usually only if we are outside. They have antlers but only one will occasionally chew on them. It's just about finding what your dog likes. Not all dogs like the same things.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. She's not into the washclothes/things soaked in broth and frozen.

Thanks for re-assuring I'm not a bad doggy mommy for giving her bully sticks etc to teeth with. Like you, Elrohwen, she gets the food out of kongs etc and then is done with them.

I will look into antlers.

And I do give in and her let have a stick or a few woodchips when I can supervise her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts