Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

My dog will be castrated in two weeks, he'll be 5 month and a half. The breeder (who's a vet technician) will be there. We asked her to have his remaining teeth extracted during the operation.

Has anyone been through that process? Is it safe?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, you're right, I'm talking about the baby teeth! :)

We've been told that the baby teeth could stop falling after the operation, thus creating two rows of teeth...

·
Registered
442 Posts
We just got our 5.5 month old male neutered. He had a lot of baby teeth left and the vet asked if we wanted them out but I said to just leave them. I just thought it was too much in one day. He also needed a small hernia repair.

My previous puppy (a small terrier) lost his teeth after his neutering so I'm hoping they come out on their own

If they don't come out, then I will go back and get it done later I guess.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
That is fairly typical behaviour, particularly if the adult teeth are starting to come in on top of the baby teeth. If the baby teeth remain it can cause the adult teeth to not grow in correctly.

My BC puppy almost had to have hers removed, but eventually they fell out and she wasn't spayed until after a year old. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've never heard of that before. My pup lost all his baby teeth after being neutered. I would consult with the actual vet on whether this is a good idea of not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think it happens in some breeds more than others, the teeth staying in?
Which is why the breeder may be recommending it

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I really like having as little done to them as possible, unless absolutely necessary. Maybe wait until baby teeth are all out before you have him neutered.

·
Registered
713 Posts
What breed is your pup? If deciduous teeth are still present the vets I work for typically recommend waiting until a pup is 6 months to 1 year old before neutering, depending on the breed. We prefer to let the teeth fall out on their own if they will. Any teeth still present during the neuter are extracted. We also recommend doing dental X-rays on any tooth we plan to extract and any adult teeth that haven't erupted to make sure there isn't any going wrong under the gums that we can't see. If someone is telling you that deciduous teeth stop falling out because of the neuter procedure then they are wrong. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding when it was explained to you.

·
Registered
368 Posts
one of the reasons we recommend neutering dogs AFTER 6 months is so we can remove any deciduous teeth that should have fallen out by then... .but at 5.5 months old, it may be impossible to tell which baby teeth will need to be extracted later and which will come out on their own. Removing deciduous teeth is not a terribly difficult thing to do, but to do it unecessarily does not seem like a good idea. The roots of young adult teeth can sometimes be damaged accidentally while taking out the juvenile teeth... so having them come out their own is always the better option. Some breeds are far more likely to keep some deciduous teeth when they should fall out of their own (dinky little breeds) while the vast majority of puppies will lose all their teeth right on schedule without any help from us.

·
Registered
442 Posts
one of the reasons we recommend neutering dogs AFTER 6 months is so we can remove any deciduous teeth that should have fallen out by then... .but at 5.5 months old, it may be impossible to tell which baby teeth will need to be extracted later and which will come out on their own. Removing deciduous teeth is not a terribly difficult thing to do, but to do it unecessarily does not seem like a good idea. The roots of young adult teeth can sometimes be damaged accidentally while taking out the juvenile teeth... so having them come out their own is always the better option. Some breeds are far more likely to keep some deciduous teeth when they should fall out of their own (dinky little breeds) while the vast majority of puppies will lose all their teeth right on schedule without any help from us.
Dinky little breeds?

·
Registered
388 Posts
My little maltese Hercules had "shark mouth" two rows of teeth the adults came in beside the puppy teeth. I had the baby teeth removed when he was neutered so that he would not have to go under anesthesia later to have them pulled.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's common practice for this to be recommended in smaller breeds, like toys and minis, as well as most, short muzzled, smush faced, breeds. Or if there is an existing concern with malformation like an underbite.

It also saves having to put them under anesthesia again in the near future. That's why you see a lot of double procedures.

Your a good momma though for worrying

1 - 16 of 16 Posts