Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Someone asked me this question and I didn't really have a definite answer.
Here's the scenario:
Female (3 year old) with pronounced teats from multiple litters.
The winters are long and cold (Canada) and the teats get very cold (frost bite a few times) red, a bit bloody, etc; - also from the playing with other dogs at the run.
Dog loves the cold and snow and will push right through it but after,
there's discomfort from thawing and swelling etc;

The question is, does a surgery exist to remove teats and is it humane?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have never heard of any vet doing this. It wouldn't be an easy or humane surgery in my opinion. The best option would be to give the dog better living arrangements in the winter time. A farm store might have some cow udder cream that could help a dog's teats as well.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have a 2.5 yr old GSP who had clots in the arteries the provide blood to 4 rear teats. She had surgery to remove these. It was necessary for survival, and the result wasn't pretty. Lots of recovery time, lots of wound-care. If not for the blood clots and subsequent organ necrosis, I would have never, ever put her through this type of invasive, risky surgery.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yes, seemed pretty harsh remedy. Very interesting idea with cow udder cream!
Bet you there aren't too many threads on dog forums out there with teat removal surgery and cow udder cream!
:ponder:

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I agree with the others- don't put her through it and just prevent the frostbite by keeping her inside.

If she's not spayed, that may help reduce the tissues by not stimulating them when the dog is in heat.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to be clear - I wasn't referring to my dog here. I would never do something like that.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
This may be a dumb idea since I don't use clothes for my dogs, but would getting her a jacket that covers them be an easy solution? Or using a t-shirt with a jacket?

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
This may be a dumb idea since I don't use clothes for my dogs, but would getting her a jacket that covers them be an easy solution? Or using a t-shirt with a jacket?
Thats not a dumb idea at all actually... lol

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
get her an 8-cup doggie bra!

·
Registered
124 Posts
#1...how many litters could a 3 yr old dog possibly have....from your post it sounds like a lot!....(though large teats can happen on the 1st prego)
#2 spay asap...this could help shrink up the teats
#3 I would try to keep her inside until all the raw areas are healed...udder cream is wonderful stuff
#4 I think a tshirt or other clothing item is just what this girl needs ...or I've also seen doggie PJs that would work too
#5 I would only pursue surgery if there was some kind of major infection or other life threatening issue happening ...that kind of surgery sounds very invasive with a ton of recovery time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts