Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, is it possible to lessen the colour of tear stains? Those on my 3 month old chihuahua cross look like blood sometimes... Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There is something called angel eyes that will remove tear stains. But the tear stains will continue to happen if the root of the cause isnt fixed. Could be the food, id talk to your vet about that part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Make sure 3 month is old enough to use angel eyes... idk if it matters but i know some products do have age requirements

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
I'm not sure we have that product in the UK, I was also going to suggest looking at his/her food - to be honest, i wouldn't ask the vet though, in the UK they get very little training in nutrition and what they do get is often provided by one of the big food chains so it isn't exactly impartial.

What brand and type of food are you feeding?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure we have that product in the UK, I was also going to suggest looking at his/her food - to be honest, i wouldn't ask the vet though, in the UK they get very little training in nutrition and what they do get is often provided by one of the big food chains so it isn't exactly impartial.

What brand and type of food are you feeding?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
. The breeder fed them on pedigree chum twice a day. So i have followed and with Hills puppy solid food 50 50 mixed in twice a day. His. Mum is a miniature toy poodle. His dad a yorkie/chihuahua. He has been wormed on Beaphar puppy cream wormer & had his first injection.

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
It's always a good idea to keep him on the same food as the breeder to start with, but Hills is pretty heavily loaded with grain which is used by manufacturers as a cheap filler. You could probably do a lot better for the same price, or lower.

Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) out of 100. You can set filters for your dog's breed, weight, age etc. and for your daily budget; then you can add in any specific needs you have such as aiming for weight loss or avoiding specific ingredients. The website will automatically show the foods listed in order of what the assessors believe is best quality, and it also will show daily feeding cost (calculated from your dog's age and weight) so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

It's no guarantee that the staining would stop if you change the food, some people think too much grain is the problem and others think too much protein is, so both can't be right. Sometimes big eyed breeds like Chihuahua are more prone, and sometimes the coat colour makes it more obvious. It is largely aesthetic so if it were my dog, I'd be going for the best food possible in the hope it did help, but still knowing the diet was good even if the tear stains didn't clear.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It also comes down to water. Tap water will cause tear stains to worsen due to the minerals in it. Filtered water is better. Even with high quality kibble and filtered water they’ll lessen but there’s other products you can use to help them. Wiping the eye area each Day with eye wipes or a wet wash cloth. Will also help. If the hairs already stained you’ll probably need to clip off that hair and start fresh to get the best results. There’s also other brand whiteners for the stains vs the angel eyes. Always check the labels for age and check with a vet to make sure it won’t do any harm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Make sure 3 month is old enough to use angel eyes... idk if it matters but i know some products do have age requirements

I was told about Angel Eyes as well, but was also told to give them filtered water only because of the iron sediments. When you give him treats and dog food, stay away from beef products. Use only chicken, fish etc. Hope this helps. I have been doing this with my Zuchon and it has helped.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
We found changing her diet to all fresh foods gradually eliminated the staining, but it took a number of months for it to happen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts