Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very good with animals. I have been around them all my life. I can tell you a few tips that are really good. First, you need to teach them how to sit. What you do is, you push down on there bottom while saying SIT. When your dog has sat give her some sort of treat.[ But don't give them chocolate. It could hurt them real bad. ] And keep doing that for a while then when you think they are ready, say SIT without pushing on their behind. That should work if not let my know by leaving me a reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
im a big fan of the lure method when teaching sit, take treat introduce infront of dogs nose lure up and over dogs head when head goes up bottom drops to ground putting dog into a sit position, give command sit when the are in the position, this teaches them that their bottom on the ground means sit, pushing on a dog could be bad for joints and hips, some people teach commands with force (force doesn't mean you are being mean) we want the dog to make a possitive association with sit, sometimes when you push a dog they use their opposition reflex ( a relex that makes them do the opposite of what is beig done to them) in this case pushing on behind might be met with resistance, sorta like pulling on a leash a dog will generally pull in the opposite direction this is a natural reflex dogs have.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Michele I use the exact same method with the clicker. It's the fastest way in my opinion. Pushing down on their bums also work, but luring them works even faster and if you can accomplish teaching them what sit means or any other trick without touching them then it's even better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts