Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
13 week-old Jasper now has a firm grasp of sit and down (will usually go straight into down now since when we are inside I am asking for a down to not chase the cats). I am trying to allow more "house time" while he is on a leash and having fantasies that he will be able to settle down on a mat or in a crate (door open) and just relax. Right now he wanders around sniffing crazily and constantly goes into "down" if I look at him b/c he wants a treat. I have been trying to teach "stay" but so far, have not been successful. Any tips for teaching settle and stay?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I taught my (older) puppy a version of settle. I didn't follow all the advice I was given, but I now have a tool that I can use to get her to at least rest for a bit and sometimes fall asleep.
Basically in her comfy chair, with me next to her, I asked her to "down" and gave her a treat for that. And then waited for her to rest her head (no command) and treated that. Every time she rested her head I gave her a treat, but if she lifted her head to get the treat I didn't give it to her. I did this routine a number of times and then attached "settle" to it. Now if I say settle she'll lie down and rest her head. If I treat her she'll continue trying, though if I don't treat her she'll get bored and get up again, unless she's really tired.
If I want her to sleep (and she's tired enough to) I say "settle" and give her a treat when her head rests, and then wait longer between each treat (she has to keep her head resting for longer and longer) until she finally falls asleep.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.