Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My dog is a chihuahua mix, and we have had the same problem. I cannot, cannot for the life of me figure out any "tells" for when he has to go potty. He gives no signal at all, ever. He also seems to be able to hold his pee for an amazingly long time. We figured out how to avoid accidents this way--at first I took him outside every hour, and of course rewarded him well for doing his thing (treats!, party). We also have a dog door to an outside kennel area where he can go, with a piece of fake grass. He uses it from time to time, but definitely prefers to go outside.
So my suggestions:
--take her out every hour and reward anything that she does outside.
--have her feedings on a strict schedule, so you know when she is likely to poop and can keep her in one room, with an eye on her.
--put her poop outside where you would like her to do her thing, as a reminder.
--spray the "wrong" area with an enzymatic cleaner.
--if you catch her squatting, grab her and go outside, then reward!
--a door to a fenced outside area would be a great back up.
--If you can figure out what surface she likes (rug?), and take it up, or limit access for now, that would help.

We also tried to teach the bells, for literally months I rang them before we went out, and I never could get my dog to do it on his own. He also NEVER scratches at the door! Also--is her poop consistently firm? If it is not firm enough, she may have a hard time holding it. We had real problems when Yogi had looser stools.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.