Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been an ongoing problem. We don't really keep Luna's collar on her when she's home, we only put it on when we're going somewhere or for a walk or something. She gets daily walks/exercise.

Every time I bring out the collar/harness she starts jumping (as with anything that I have that is remotely interesting, whether it's food or some clothes in hand...she always has to jump because she's interested!). When I try to put the collar on her she tries to bite and it and play with it like it's a toy. Same with her harness. My husband and I have been bitten by Luna's razor sharp puppy teeth several times trying to put this on her. Once the collar/harness are on, she's fine. When we bring out the leash, same thing. Once the leash is one, she keeps jumping at it and biting it and tries to play tug with it like it's a toy. Once we're outside walking she's fine but once in awhile, she'll have a random spurt where she'll start jumping at the leash again and biting it.

I try to treat her with desirable behaviors (such as when she stops jumping and biting at the leash...this "treat" also equates to continuing on with the walk) or I'll treat her for a desirable behavior THEN put her collar/harness on. Am I doing this wrong?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sounds like normal puppy behaviour, If she is fine when collar/harness is on then that's great. You just have to train her not too play with or bite the collar/harness, she is just too excited. work on getting her calm, every time she bites the collar/harness, it takes longer to go on, and her walks are delayed, you have to show her that only when she is calm and not bitting at you or collar then will it go on , and you can enjoy your walks

·
Registered
339 Posts
I found these videos by kikopup helpful in the beginning:

How to stop leash biting
How to train your dog to love his harness

I used to put my puppy in a sit and then reach towards him as if to put on/take off his collar and click and treat if he didn't move, then click and treat as I actually put it on if he didn't move, click and treat as I touched/grabbed his collar, clasped and unclasped it, etc. Same with the leash and harness. If he stood up or tried to bite or lick or anything, I put him back in a sit without treating him and then started over. He eventually learned to calmly allow me to put on his collar/harness/leash.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts