Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to do this and need some useful techniques and tips to get started.

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
"Speak" is something I've captured (waited for it, mark and reward) with a couple of my dogs. Once barking predictably, adding the verbal before or just as my dog barked.

Others I've been able to cause a bark with a high pitched voice. Mark and reward, also eventually adding the verbal. :)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
we train "snort on command" right now, we're working on similiar stuff. :D
With the "bark on command" I just barked at him until he'd start barking back and then mark and reward. After he understood that he'd get a reward for barking after command, I accompanied it with a handsign and then I changed the barking sound to the keyword.
probably not the most effective, but it worked for us.^^"

Reactions: Gnostic Dog

·
Registered
499 Posts
I said in my command tone 'bark, bark'. The dog got frustrated because she knew I wanted something from me but not exactly what. So she barked. And got rewarded.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I never could teach Chess to bark on command, because almost nothing makes her bark. The only time she does is when someone goes past the yard and she goes off at them. And obviously I can't reward or catch that.

But with Echo, she's easy to make bark, so I just barked at her and rewarded when she barked back. It was one of the easiest things I taught her. If you know any way to make your dog bark, just do that and reward it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, @ChessaQ, my dog isn't a barker either, so catching him barking isn't easy unless it's early morning when the hot air balloons are flying overhead!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.