Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Congratulations--but if your dog passed TDI, don't forget to apply for CGCA through the AKC too. You already have the CGC, and the TDI test qualifies your dog for both that and the CGCA, as the test covers all those two tests cover and then some. You've earned it--you might as well have it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congratulations--but if your dog passed TDI, don't forget to apply for CGCA through the AKC too. You already have the CGC, and the TDI test qualifies your dog for both that and the CGCA, as the test covers all those two tests cover and then some. You've earned it--you might as well have it.
Thanks for the info! Had two different evaluators. I will check with the one who did the TDI testing (she also does CGC) and she if she would be willing to fill out the form for the CGCA test. I also see that there is a Urban CGC test. May practice for that one also...just have to find an elevator hmmmm....

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks for the info! Had two different evaluators. I will check with the one who did the TDI testing (she also does CGC) and she if she would be willing to fill out the form for the CGCA test. I also see that there is a Urban CGC test. May practice for that one also...just have to find an elevator hmmmm....
Make sure you apply for, and get, the CGC first. Apparently the AKC gets all unnerved if you apply for both simultaneously, even though they're okay with the TDI test qualifying your dog for both. I assume it's some kind of paperwork issue for them, as in they need to have the dog on record as being CGC before they can award the CGCA to the dog.

Re the elevator: Is there a college and/or library anywhere nearby that might let you practice with an elevator? For that matter, once you start visiting with your dog, many places you'd be doing therapy (hospitals, schools, libraries, nursing homes) might have elevators you could "borrow," so to speak, as they'd be used to having dogs/handlers in their facility. Fortunately the college where I'm employed is extremely dog friendly, so I did all kinds of TDI practicing with automatic doors etc. right on campus.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make sure you apply for, and get, the CGC first. Apparently the AKC gets all unnerved if you apply for both simultaneously, even though they're okay with the TDI test qualifying your dog for both. I assume it's some kind of paperwork issue for them, as in they need to have the dog on record as being CGC before they can award the CGCA to the dog.

Re the elevator: Is there a college and/or library anywhere nearby that might let you practice with an elevator? For that matter, once you start visiting with your dog, many places you'd be doing therapy (hospitals, schools, libraries, nursing homes) might have elevators you could "borrow," so to speak, as they'd be used to having dogs/handlers in their facility. Fortunately the college where I'm employed is extremely dog friendly, so I did all kinds of TDI practicing with automatic doors etc. right on campus.
Thank you! Have already mailed out the CGC form. Just need a photo for the TDI. Our local humane society has an elevator. They also have classes there and I know the one instructor. So I will see if we can go there for practice. You have been so helpful and kind. Thank you again!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Well, at a humane society, they'd certainly have experience with animals in their elevators, and they'd likely be able to figure out a time when they'd be less likely to be using them, so you don't have to worry about getting your dog used to elevators while sharing them with other animals who might be scared or nervous about being in the shelter, which might be a lot for all the animals involved to handle.

If you ever do practice at a place like a college, however, I'd warn you of one thing--it will take you a lot longer to walk across a campus with a friendly dog than it would to walk across one without one, as someone (usually several someones) will invariably stop to ask you to pet your dog. I had one student tell me he missed his dog more than his mom (though when he quickly added that the difference was that he could phone, text, skype etc. with his mom and not with his dog).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts