Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new to this forum. I'm here because I feel I've exhausted all the ideas I've had on housebreaking my two-year-old Belgian Malinois. She had an unfortunate accident when she was a pup that left her with a serious head injury and possibly leading to her epilepsy. She takes meds for it and has been seizure free for five months now. (Woo hoo!:D )

Anywho, lets get back on track...

I have had this dog for a year now and housebreaking has been a struggle. She has a crate and she's crate trained, but she'll potty in it (1 and 2) in the middle of the night or sometimes during the day when my husband and I are at work/school. The longest she's being left alone is about five hours. We take her outside every 1-2 hours when we're home, make sure she potties before bed and right when she wakes up. We have a strict feeding schedule as well that goes along with her medications. The problem persists. While she's had a UTI in the past, she shows no signs of one right now. Last vet visit she was happy and healthy as a horse.

We've tried feeding her in her kennel, shortening her kennel (It was a bit big because I thought she'd get bigger.), praise when she goes outside, moving what's left of the mess (Because she'll eat poop. Ew.) to where we want her to go in the yard, longer walks, I sometimes get up in the middle of the night just to walk her because I don't want to have to clean a mess up before work or school. She's also wicked smart and knows that the back door is where we take her out through, so when she has to go, she walks over there and makes these really ridiculous noises like, "Hey! Heeeeeeey! I really wanna go pee on the world, guys!"

She'll go through a few weeks of being super awesome and not pottying in her kennel, and then we'll find it. It's either done while we're sleeping or not home. Possible behaviors from separation anxiety? And no, we don't freak out when she potties in her kennel. I learned years ago that that only makes the issue worse. But I'm also wondering if this behavior is related to her TBI and she just forgets? She's learned basic commands and sometimes does those super well too, but other times I'll say something like "Sit" and she just stares at me like I have lobsters coming out of my ears. What do you all think? Any ideas?

·
Registered
851 Posts
She sounds like she has a great home with you!

One question--is her kennel in the bedroom with you guys? My Puma pup's crate is next to my bed so that if she needs to go out in the middle of the night I can hear her. Most nights she sleeps soundly. But occasionally she will need to go out in the middle of the night, esp if we have fed her late at night. I know she has to go potty because she fidgets in her crate or makes small noises (not barking)

If her crate is not in your bedroom, maybe try having it there so you can hear when she wakens in the middle of the night.

That's all I have for now, sorry!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, her kennel isn't in our bedroom. Our house is small and her kennel would take up quite a bit of the room! But it is positioned near the outside our bedroom door because of her seizures. Sometimes I guess she's just really quiet when she goes potty in her kennel.

Something interesting though: I left any dog bed or blankets put of her kennel for a week. No accidents in the house. I put a blanket in there last night and lo and behold! I find it's saturated in urine and has a few marks from pooping. This is *after* I got up twice in the middle of the night to walk her because she was running in circles in there! So as much as I feel bad about her not having something soft to sleep on, I just won't put anything absorbent in there.

Perhaps the mystery is solved! Absorbent bedding = her feeling like she has to potty on it? I have no idea.

And thank you. She drives us a little insane, but we love her. ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts