Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 week old cockapoo really likes to bite and attack ankles. I have read plenty of articles and I'm patiently training her - redirecting, timeouts, yelping at hard bites, etc. However, the problem is with my 2 and 5 year old children. They tend to dance or run when she attacks their ankles, which is fun for the dog. I'm considering using some type of taste deterrent on my kids legs to keep the puppy from attacking.

Would you suggest this? I'm also worried about if the dog will like the kids after we get the biting stopped.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I wouldn't. I'd be teaching your children calm behaviour and slow walking around the pup, cause it's just enticing her to chase and bite.

Continue doing as your doing, 3 step method. Keep a toy on you at all time, when mouthing starts shove the toy in their mouth. If they persist remove attention. If they still continue, time out. They will learn. Loudly yelping can sometimes make some pups riled up so I'd be careful.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Have them wear thick jeans to protect their legs, sweaters too if the puppy can get that high, then play this game.

Its called the "crazy freeze game"

Have kids act crazy and dance around, as soon as dog gets close, say FREEZE, kids FREEZE. Even if dog is near them, even if dog is jumping, they still keep still, you can reward kids for freezing if you like. You can stand close the first few times if you feel safer being near the kids, you can even join in yourself!!

Repeat until dog figures out that the craziness stops whenever they get anywhere near the kids. If dog shows signs of acting calmly, ie not jumping up and getting involved in the craziness, reward the dog.

You can do this with music, or without, dancing or jumping. The key is it has to be a game, as there is no way just telling a 2 year old and a 5 year to keep still around a crazy dog without it being a game.

Do this a lot before your dog gets big enough to actually do some damage.
Play it every day, several times a day, eventually your kids will be conditioned to FREEZE whenever you say freeze even if the game is not being played, which is really useful in many situations, both dog and not dog related, and your dog will learn that they cannot join in kid crazy times.

Sometimes now I even randomly say FREEZE to my kids and then give them a small reward for doing it even though our dog is pretty calm now. It has come in useful with off leash dogs a couple of times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts