Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ella is very, very vocal and opinionated. She has a mind of her own and will let you know it :p

If you try to tell her something in a loud commanding voice, she will talk back loudly. Basically every time (it doesn`t happen often) you raise your voice at her, she will bark at you :p

The most counter-effective thing I could do when I want her to stop doing something is raise my voice at her.

She will also let the world know she is not happy when she can`t get what she wants (something is in the way etc). Once I was sitting on the sofa and she wanted to go past me, but my legs were blocking the way. She could have gone in a circle around me to where she wanted to go but no, instead she started barking at me to move my legs. :p

When people raise voices at each other (either while arguing or just being silly) she will chime in, loudly.

How vocal are your dogs? Do they talk back?

·
Registered
502 Posts
My dogs aren't much on talking back, but Echo will definitely moan about not getting her way at times. She'll moan and groan and be all pathetic. And she barks and howls at the other dogs if they do something to offend her.

But my roommates dog, wow. She's a one year old german shepherd(and one of the most annoying dogs I've ever met) and she barks and cries and makes the most ungodly noises when she's told to do something she doesn't want to do. Not even kidding, a lot of the time she sounds like a bear. It's a good thing we live in the country!

·
Registered
455 Posts
My dog is pretty vocal at times, but never "talks back." If she is excited to see someone she will whine vociferously, but the funny thing is she can only do it if she has something in her mouth. It is hilarious to have someone she is excited to see walk through the door and watch her look frantically for a toy or bone to put in her mouth so she can start making noises and "noodling" all over the place. She's a funny dog.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Buster is very vocal. He has a weird bark it's more of a bark/howl hybrid. If your taking too long to do something he'll tell you by going woooo wooo wooooo haha! It's funny, I'll try and catch it on camera.

When I come home from work he'll sit and wiggle his butt and if I do not tend to him immediately he'll wooo woooo wooooo again. And if I'm greeting someone like if my Dad comes home from work and we hug he'll howl at us again.

He likes to make himself heard.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Our Tiger is the talker. He's very sensitive to routines and if you don't follow the set routine, he'll let you know. For instance, my hubby usually makes popcorn when he goes to watch a movie, and he and Tiger schmooze and they share for awhile.

So, God forbid if hubby starts up a movie and then sits down to watch and doesn't make anything to munch on. Tiger will lie there patiently for about 15-20 minutes (so hubby's good and into the movie), he'll be lying on his cool mat with his head on the floor, making these moaning and gurgling sounds until he just can't stand it anymore and then: "BYARG,yarg,yarg!" In his best protesting tone. The longer hubby pretends not to hear the gurgling, and trying not to laugh, the longer Tiger will prolong it, to much hilarity. :D

A different variation is similar to @secrets0stolen about raising voices. Hubby and I can't raise our voices to speak to each other from a different room in the house. Tiger has somehow equated that to a sort of "alert", possibly meaning an imminent visitor or something.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dogs aren't much on talking back, but Echo will definitely moan about not getting her way at times. She'll moan and groan and be all pathetic. And she barks and howls at the other dogs if they do something to offend her.

But my roommates dog, wow. She's a one year old german shepherd(and one of the most annoying dogs I've ever met) and she barks and cries and makes the most ungodly noises when she's told to do something she doesn't want to do. Not even kidding, a lot of the time she sounds like a bear. It's a good thing we live in the country!
Lol

That sounds like Ella. She doesn`t only bark, it`s more like a mix of bark/howl/growl. I love that she is like this, a bit crazy and sparky. I think it shows she has a healthy psyche and is confident :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Kasper is vocal. He grumbles easily (especially when he's asleep, totally different from a growl) and he is quick to growl and tell you what he doesn't like. He's more vocal in play too; he loves play growling and we both enjoy snarling at each other :) When he's hyped up playing with Zoey he will bark too...sorry Kasper, end of play, you're being an arse!

When we're getting ready to take him for a walk he will whine, often screamy-whine, and it is *so* annoying. Ignoring him doesn't work, plying him with treats doesn't work, and he ultimately gets what he wants...bleh >__<

Zoey is kinda vocal, but as ever she is much cuter with it than Kasper :D She makes adorable "arrooo rooo rooo" noises in certain situations, such as when she thinks it's time for a walk, we just got home or if we're roughhousing with Kasper and she can't be bothered getting up to join in!!

Also if she is overly tired she will focus on our other pets and will stand, barking or whining at them despite the fact they live in the same room as her 24/7. 99% of the time she completely ignores them, so if she obsesses on them more than once she goes straight in her crate with a Kong to chill out.

Her only annoying vocalisatin is when there are people she doesn't know, especially indoors. She wil whine continuously and scream because she wants to love on them. Stuffed Kongs will barely hold her attention, so usually she goes in her crate in a separate room where she can't see them, with Kongs and exciting chew toys.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Eva and Erik didn't become vocal until they hit the 2 year mark. Eva started first, and it shocked us because she sounded so much like a husky. She's become really talkative lately. Erik's started talking more just in the past few weeks, and it seems like it coincides with him getting way more time alone with us at night. Interrupting that new routine will make him start talking at you like he knows it's time for bed/snuggles.

On Tuesday, he did the first full-on howl that we've ever heard. Someone knocked on the door, and the BF stepped outside. I wouldn't let Erik out too, and he sat by the door and let loose this insane, mournful howl.

I feel no shame in admitting that I'll play videos of huskies or shibas talking just to see what kind of response I'll get from my dogs. >.>

·
Registered
92 Posts
Haha my pup does something similar! He'll try to be all playful and annoying with the older dogs and moan when they don't respond to his muzzle licking or outright ignore him and walk away.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Oh ya, Sam is a talker!! Sometimes he just has a BIG MOUTH! If I'm sitting outside at the table, he'll run to me and look at me with a grin and a twinkle in his eye. I say, "ok, you can go", he gives me a woof and off he goes. I'll tell him bedtime, woof. I get on the phone, woof woof woof! Seems like he has to be center of attention all the time.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm loving these insights into dog personality. :)

Boone is not much of a talker; he relies on meaningful looks a lot more. Still, he does have a unique vocal trick. It sounds like something between a whine and moan, with a very wide open mouth ... like maybe it's just a noisy yawn. His first few remarks are generally restrained, but if the result he wants is not forthcoming, he increases the volume till he gets action from the humans.

I have to give him credit, though, he only uses this when it's really important - like if it's 3 am and he has diarrhea ... or it's time for the evening walk.

·
Registered
904 Posts
On Tuesday, he did the first full-on howl that we've ever heard. Someone knocked on the door, and the BF stepped outside. I wouldn't let Erik out too, and he sat by the door and let loose this insane, mournful howl.
The two Rottie playmates of Boone's both howl, and Boone just watches them like they're crazy. But for the first time this summer, he gave it a go when the other two started up. I wasn't there, but by all accounts it was pretty ... well, meager. He'd made his first "kill" a few days before (a rat), so maybe he was feeling extra-canine, or something. :) There have been no reports of more howling attempts, so perhaps he's decided this isn't his strong suit. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.