Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have pet plan on both dogs and both cats and I only can say positives. Ours is about 45/cad a month for each dog. It is $100 deductible and covers everything but routine care and pre existing. We are students so have pretty much zero savings and very little emergency funds.
1 dog got in a fight and needed meds and wound care was totally covered ($650). Got the money within about a week. Other dog ate a quater of a queen size sheet, didnt need surgery but overnight emergency stay ($1200) again totally covered. 1 cat had a blocked urethra from crystal build up ($2000) totally covered again.

I cant imagine how stressed I would be without insurance. If anything happens knowing we will be reimbursed within a few weeks is quite relieving.
I think insurance just scares me in general.
Would it make sense for me to call Healthy Paws and start a policy with them before cancelling my Nationwide one? And probably a stupid question, but even though my NW policy is for a year, can I cancel it earlier than that?

·
Super Moderator
1,289 Posts
I have edited your post to remove the link to the pet store as (a) it seems unrelated to your insurance question and (b) it is against forum rules to link to businesses.

To return to your question, are you planning to change insurers? If so, there will likely be a period at the start when you can't claim so an overlap seems sensible. And as to whether you can cancel part way through a year, you should ask your insurer.

You should also be aware that pre existing conditions will not be covered by the new insurance though so your cat, for example, could end up costing more than you save if she has another build up.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I would not be without insurance for our dog. I got the policy right after we adopted her over ten years ago. Although the premium has gone up as she has aged, I still get most of the premium back over the course of the year, and a couple of years ago received many times the premium, when she became very sick with an autoimmune disorder and needed lots of expensive testing to diagnose. She is and will be on medication for the rest of her life, and that is 100% paid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts