Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as many of you may know I started working in a shelter two months ago. Typically I'm not the "I want to take them all home!" type. In fact I'm usually rather picky with dogs and definitely no impulsive.

But oh my gosh... the other day a GORGEOUS 9 month old Dalmatian came in. (I wish I could post a picture but I'm not allowed unless the dog is for adoption already) I was obsessed, absolutely OBSESSED with Dalmatians as a child, particularly 101 Dalmatians. I had Dalmatian stuffed animals and toys, books, clothes, room decor, posters, blankets, sheets, movies, ceramic figures, bowls and cups...basically if it had a Dalmatian on it I had it. Up until I hit puberty and got into shelters I planned to breed Dalmatians as an adult, and went so far as to read canine/Dalmatian specific husbandry and whelping books.

And now I literally have my childhood dream wagging his tail and play bowing in front of me. With my shelter's ridiculously low adoption fee... He gets along with other dogs and is nice and playful (same play style as Stella!), responds to his name, doesn't jump much, and still has his soft puppy coat! His name is even that of one of the 101 Dalmatian puppies. And when I was 11 I actually wrote a Black Beauty-esque novella about a Dalmatian with that name who educated the readers about Dalmatians and canine welfare issues. Ugh, it's like it was meant to be!!!

Aside from the fact my mom would kill me and she would be home all day with 3 high energy dogs, supposedly this dog is a resource guarder. They haven't tested him yet, but now I'm hoping he tears the hand up so I can tell myself he wasn't that great anyway. Other than that the only flaw I've seen in him is that he pulls a lot on the leash. I keep trying to tell myself that I really have no time to train another dog because I still need to train Stella to be ok with cats, and for her CGC, and just spending time with her. And it would take a while to train this dog to walk nice on a leash. And we've just gotten everything settled with Tyrion and his health.

But ughh.... I want him!!! And the adoption fee is just $75! So talk some sense into me before I do something impulsive this week and bring home a new dog!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd say go for it!!! He sounds great and you're a fantastic dog owner, I'm sure you could handle three dogs! What about asking for a two week trial period?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I wont be much help either lol. He sounds like a great dog, and from what ive read on your other threads you sound like youd be able to handle him.
At this point i think it comes down to, if you really have enough time for another energetic high exercise needs dog, if your able to afford another dog, and if he does have resource guarding are you willing to work with him on it or is it a deal breaker.
I think a 2 week trial would be great as long as you think he would be able to fit in. That way you can see if you'll have enough time for him and be able to handle him.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*sigh* Well, it's not so much whether *I* could handle it, so much so as I already feel guilty leaving Stella with my mom all day while I'm at work. If it was just me that would be another story. But as much as I'd like Lucky I know I can't do that to her, and I can't really afford another dog, and I'm out of the house about 12 hours a day so...I wouldn't have the time to train him and Stella. Speaking of Stells she might not be too thrilled about sharing attention with someone else as well. There's already 3 rescues lined up practically begging for him so he'll get adopted fast.

*sigh* I'll just have to wait for the next Dalmatian. And if I work for this shelter another 10 months I get the adoption fee for a pet of my choice waived. Job's got perks!

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I'll talk some sense into you ^these two crazies are not helping! ;)

You have already invested so much money into dealing with Tyrion's health issues, and while Dalmatians are super cute, I think you know they can be difficult dogs. They have selective hearing, deafness is HUGE in the breed, you'll have to really watch their diet as you know, and besides that, their hairs gets. In. EVERYTHING. My cousin has a Dal, and I'll find Freckles' hair in my jeans and sweaters for WEEKS after visiting.

Reactions: Sha and Sabina88

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. His hearing does seem good as he responds to his name and lots of sounds but yeah I know that's a big problem. I found out Dalmatians were prone to deafness when I was 4 so learned training signs to better communicate with them. :p I'm already covered in white hair from Stella! Tyrion is technically my mom's dog, but yeah, we have invested a lot in him.

But when you said watch their diet did you mean to keep them nice and trim or is there some sensitive stomach issues I'm unaware of?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Thanks. His hearing does seem good as he responds to his name and lots of sounds but yeah I know that's a big problem. I found out Dalmatians were prone to deafness when I was 4 so learned training signs to better communicate with them. :p I'm already covered in white hair from Stella! Tyrion is technically my mom's dog, but yeah, we have invested a lot in him.

But when you said watch their diet did you mean to keep them nice and trim or is there some sensitive stomach issues I'm unaware of?
I heard they can be very sensitive to food...they also are pretty prone to skin problems and, because they are white, they are very sensitve to sunlight and sunburn. this depends of course on the region you're living.
They are a pretty active breed, so you've got to able to spend some time every day to exercise him. with working fulltime, this can be stressful for you to do.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I really wouldn't buy a dog that is going to be in someone else's care all day - especially if it's in the care of someone who doesn't want to take care of it.

I honestly wouldn't buy a dog at all if I couldn't dedicat the proper amount of time to it by myself. Dalmatians aren't easy dogs, and theyre a lot of work and prone to many health problems. I understand your excitement, but just because a dog looks like your favorite childhood movie doesn't mean you should buy one and isn't a good reason to get one.

If you're already struggling with the health problems and vet bills of Tyrion, why get another young dog that is going to need a lot of work, background unknown, may have numerous health problems, and will be left with someone who won't be thrilled about the idea all day?

If you're serious about a Dalmation, I'd look into the breed, research a lot, find a good rescue or breeder, and wait until you can dedicate to time :)

Sorry if anything comes off rude just giving my honest opinion !

·
Registered
5,840 Posts

Dals also tend to have a metabolism that doesn't process purines normally, which predisposes them to bladder stones. It requires they be on a low purine diet, with a higher level of carbs, low salt, and moderate protein. Not all dal's will get this issue. But they're very pre-disposed. And once you have one that proves it's going to be an issue, you have to be VERY careful. Most vets really push a certain Rx diet that research shows dals do really well on with their purine issue. Some have developed an appropriate custom raw diet to suit their dal's needs. But they can't handle a lot of your normal, high quality kibbles, and finding a good kibble that fits the bill is difficult.

We have a client where I work who's dal has had probably 3 surgeries and a handful of other instances that just required catheterization. The vets keep telling them to feed the special food but they keep putting him back on something else. Presumably they read about how unhealthy Rx diets are because of the ingredients list, and they seem think that if they feed something better, then it'll all go away. The last time he was in, they had him on NOW. Unfortunately they're not totally wrong about the ingredients of the diet, but you'd think after these issues continue to occur, they'd think twice and deal with the Rx diet. Our vets are not pro-raw, so they probably haven't even considered that.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@cos I do know a lot about Dalmatians except it seems this sensitive stomach issue. I do also like their intelligence and train ability and I already do have a high energy dog I've socialized and trained and I get compliments on her most places.

I was aware of the proneness to deafness, sensitivity to sunlight and well, occasional predisposition toward well,.. Emotional instability. I guess I didn't realize the tummy issues and bladder stones. Stella does eat high quality food and is allergic to chicken but Yeesh, that's a lot.

As much as I really would like him I think I knew deep down either way it's just not the right time. And like I said even if it was, he might be a resource guarder and I'd really rather not deal with that if I don't have to. I just needed the reinforcement from everyone that not taking him was the right choice! When he goes up for adoption I still want to share his photo! At least I get to play with him. :) thanks.

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
155 Posts
If he's as lovely as you described him I'm sure he'll get adopted no problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.