Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. So it looks like I'm moving once again. I've accepted a job at a horse ranch. A dream job for me. I'll be living on the farm with my dogs Bentley(mini dachshund) and Cooper (lab/husky). So the owner of the ranch has about 5 dogs that roam the farm. And I would ideally like Bentley and Cooper to be able to be integrated into the pack and be able to roam around. My only problem is that my dogs have never had that much space to roam around in. So I'm worried that they will roam too far or run away. My hope is that since the existing pack stays on the farm, my dogs will too. So you guys have any tips on how to get them to stay close by. The entire property is 106 acres.
I can take them outside for potty breaks now without a leash but I only let them pee and then it's right back in the house.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I would start with long lines, and see where it goes from there.

My experience has been that dogs will generally stay close to you, as long as you are present, but that can get dicey if there are dangers or distractions nearby - such as cars on a road, livestock they may mess with, chickens they may chase, etc.

If you're not on a super busy road, watch them around moving cars/machinery, and your dogs aren't prone to chasing livestock or farm birds, you'll probably be just fine. But I'd tread carefully to start with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.