Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys

I am seeking advice on what to do now that we have a dog in our house and also have two cats. The dog belongs to my father in law who recently had a open chest operation and isn't allowed to walk his dog for the next month.

The dog is a friendly two year old male. I don't know the name of the race in English but here's a picture of a dog of the same race

We have spend days introducing the two cats and the dog and it's going okay at the moment. The dog is on a short leash whenever he's around the cats, not because he wans to hurt them but he doesn't get that they don't play rough like he does. As for now the dog has half the house while the cats has the other part. The problem here is that the dog howl and barks all the time when we're not in the same part of the house that he is in. At the same time we cannot have him in the same room as the cats all the time because it is exhausting. I try to keep him around me whenever I can as I'm writing my bachelor but I have to give the cats attention too.

The question is how we can get the dog to accept that he has to be alone and away from us? He's used to home alone all day when my father in law is at work so I don't understand why he's so unhappy.

Also, how do we teach him not to chase the cats and play rough around them?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Well he's in a new surrounding, his attachment figure is gone, his new roommates (the cats) don'T want to play with him and then he trapped in a room he doesn know all alone...How'd you feel?
if it's just for a short while until your father in law is back, and you're severl people in the house, can't you make one person stay with the cats and one with the dogs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're not several people, we're two people. I'm home most of the days writing my bachelor and my girlfriend is working 10hrs a day. When she gets home we try to juggle a dog and two cats and it's not easy. The dog knows us and has been visiting us many times, I know it's not the same as his home but the place is not new to him. I walk him every 3rd hours to get rid of some of his energy and half the time I'm home he's in a room with me and the other half the cats are with me.

So again, I'd like to know if anyone got an idea of how to learn the dog that it is OK to be alone for a few hours at the time and how we get him to stop chasing the cats

·
Registered
70 Posts
So again, I'd like to know if anyone got an idea of how to learn the dog that it is OK to be alone for a few hours at the time and how we get him to stop chasing the cats
Hope this is not too late.

We introduced 2 adult dogs to 6 adult cats. The first thing we did was crate them. They stayed in their crates all the time except when fed and walked. Yes they fussed, one of the things I did was put a sheet over their crates at night. When we took them out of the crate for brief periods, they would be on a short leash in the house. I think in our case it helped that they were two for company for each other. The bad thing was they had a separation anxiety, which actually was pretty easy to cure.

Anyhow, my lab was the first one to figure out the way to get out of the crate was to ignore the cats. That took her about 2 months.

My spaniel, he wanted to chase them, especially in the yard. Discouraging him from chasing them inside was easier. We used a training collar cause nothing else seemed to be working and even still, now, after 2 years, even tho he's very friendly with them inside, he still will chase outside. He doesn't chase to be mean tho, I think he's trying to play with them, not hunt them. But he will only chase if they run away from him and there's only one cat left that does that. Vocal commands while walking if he sees a cat or a squirrel will stop him from pulling on the leash. Tho mostly he's learned to ignore other animals while walking.

Something else we did that was very successful is we pack trained. I'm on the top of the hierarchy, the cats are next, the dogs are on the bottom. Dogs are not allowed on furniture or beds. They're not allowed in the kitchen. Cats have many more privileges. One effect of pack training is it makes them more aggressive towards strange dogs, which is something we want but it might not be desirable for you.

It will take months for them to acclimate. It took I think 3 months for the first cat to accept them and around 8 for the last one to get at least tolerant of them. Depends on the cats, on the dogs. I suspect the dogs' previous owner just left them in the back yard to fend for themselves (hence the separation anxiety) so just being inside most of the time, being around people and a bunch of cats all the time helped them adjust.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ah, I think I misread your original post that you're not adopting the dog, you're just taking care of him for a while? You're not going to accomplish what you want to do in a month, I don't think. Took us the better part of a year for all dogs and all cats to accept each other.

One thing we did after we let them out of the crates was to keep them on the leach, but to leash them to something stable, like a door knob. Sounds really weird I know, but it worked. They didn't fuss like they did when they were in the crate too long and it gave them enough freedom to make them happy but not so much they could bother the cats.

We didn't let them out of the crates until the cats got over freaking out about the dog intrusion and got curious enough to where they started approaching the crates to check out the dogs. That took at least a couple months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts