Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently adopted a 6 week old pup, I know that it's illegal in some states to get puppies younger than 8 weeks but I live in the middle east where they basically don't have rules because animals here are treated really badly. This doggy's littermates and mum were sold and it would go to the streets or a crowded shelter if no one took it. I decided to take the puppy but i want to ask for advice because i know it was supposed to spend more time with its mum, in 7 days it should turn 8 weeks.

At night we left her outside my bedroom but she would cry about 5 times a night, twice about pooping and the rest were because she felt lonely and scared i guess. So yesterday we put up a large exercise pen in the living room where the whole family sits around her to watch tv and we packed it with food, water, a bed and toys. She's sometimes okay with staying in the pen for a while but then she starts crying wanting us to play all the time or carry her in our arms. I understand that this is normal behavior for a baby but should I always carry her when she ask or will that make her whine even more thinking it gets my attention?
She also hates it when i'm home alone with her and i leave the living room for a few minutes, if i don't give her attention when she wants she puts her face in the gaps of the metal fence and hits the fence for a while with her face until she gives up and goes back to bed is this normal?

Yesterday my dad slept in the living room couch and she slept in her pen and she only cried once!! I guess she feels more comfortable with someone near her. (ps my room is very small therefore i can't have her sleep in there with me). So should I keep sleeping in the living room until she's a little older or should I train her for now to sleep alone at night?

My sister is 8 years old and all of us family members try to be social to build her social skills, I will try to have her meet other doggies and take her on walks when she gets her injections. She is already trained to pee in her pee pad in the living room so she's a very smart puppy!

I feed her 3 times a day as recommended by my vet, once at 6am 1pm and 7pm.

When i go to play with her inside her pen to make her more comfortable she comes to lick me and then goes to play with her stuffed animal by aggressively pulling on it and biting her bed and chasing her tail or biting her leg (only sometimes and i try to stop that) I know the biting toys could be because she's teething or that's how she played with her littermates.

I take her out of the pen and carry her a few times a day for a walk around the appartment so i do let her out so she doesn't get bored of her pen.

I understand that I may be doing some things wrong so I would appreciate all the tips and advice you can give me. I can't return the puppy as they will just throw her in the streets due to the lack of shelters where I live. I tried to research many articles but most of them were based on older dogs. So i would really love some tips.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I tried to research many articles but most of them were based on older dogs. So i would really love some tips.
We would be glad to help. My contribution: There is a saying: give a man a fish, he eats for a night, teach a man to fish, he eats for life.
Your internet is much similar to mine. If you do a search either on this site or on the internet for '7 week puppy' you will get lots of information.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My opinion is that many dogs are happier sleeping with their people. A 6 week old puppy is missing the mom and litter mates, so they will cry when they are alone.

If she can be with people, let her be with people. Hold her as much as you want, there's no issues with that. Use the pen as well when needed. Yes, she will cry but that's ok. But you don't want her spending all of her time in the pen.

That's great that she is peeing on the puppy pads and eating well.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
First, just how big is she going to get? Do you have any idea if she's going to be a small, medium, or large, dog? I ask because it will make a difference in just when you should stop carrying her around, and whether or not she should be using potty pads.

If she's going to be a medium to large dog then you might want to start cutting out carrying her around since she'll be hitting a growth spurt and could go from a cute 3 to 5 lb puppy, to a 20 lb one in a months time.

A large dog using puppy pads is quite different from a small one using them. Also do you want her to use the potty outside, only, or inside? If you ultimate goal is outside then start working on that now and get rid of the puppy pads, since the longer you let her use them the harder it will be to train her to go outside only.

The reason she's crying at night is her instincts tell her she's safest if her new family is around her. She feels safest with y'all and so she cries to get y'all to come back.

Only let her out of her pen when she's quiet, if you go to her when she cries and get her out of it you are teaching her that crying is how to get released, and that can become a problem. You can play a game where when she cries you ignore her, when she's quiet go towards her. Every time she cries stop going towards her and wait till she's quiet again to start moving towards her. Do that till you can go to her, and let her out, without her making any noise. The first few times it will take awhile to get to her, but after that she'll know that making noise just gets you to ignore her, but being quiet gets you to come and let her out. Don't give up half way through playing it, or she'll learn that if she just cries long enough you'll let her out and it'll be even harder to get her to stop.

You should have her out of her pen more then just a few times a day. You should have her out most of the time, and let her run around AFTER she's pottied where you want her to. Play with her, but don't use your hands or feet as toys since puppy teeth are sharp and easily draw blood. Play with her using her toys. Also train her, she should be learning all the basic commands, like sit, down (lay), stay, drop it, come, etc, so that she knows how to be a good companion. Check out Kikopup on youtube, she's a dog trainer and has a lot of videos that are for puppy owners and will help you learn how to train her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's a mini chorki so i assume she won't be very big. I try to distract her whenever she tries to come lick/bite my toes by giving her a stuffed pluto toy to bite on instead. I want her to stay peeing on the potty pad rather than outside because after a few months i'll start university and I won't be home to take her out. I'll try training her when she can have treats as she's still not used to eating harder foods. Whenever she's in her pen and cries i tried using your method but when she finds me standing up to go to her she just stops crying overall so i don't think she understands the idea of not whining! This was really useful thanks a lot!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
She's a mini chorki so i assume she won't be very big. I try to distract her whenever she tries to come lick/bite my toes by giving her a stuffed pluto toy to bite on instead. I want her to stay peeing on the potty pad rather than outside because after a few months i'll start university and I won't be home to take her out. I'll try training her when she can have treats as she's still not used to eating harder foods. Whenever she's in her pen and cries i tried using your method but when she finds me standing up to go to her she just stops crying overall so i don't think she understands the idea of not whining! This was really useful thanks a lot!
You're welcome.

Sounds like you're on the right track with her :thumbsup: Puppies just take time to really understand what we are trying to teach them.

What I'd do about the crying in the pen, is to get creative, either stay sitting till she's quiet in the pen, and you only need her to be crying for 5 seconds, or if I had to get up then pretend to be busy with something, or heading in a different direction so that she's quiet for 5 seconds before going to her. Basically whatever it takes to convince her that her crying was not what caused me to get up. You want 5 solid seconds of quiet, so do a count down. When I do a countdown because my boy is barking for me to come back in my apartment is generally goes like this... 1.2...bark...1...bark...1,2,3....bark...etc. each time he barks the countdown is restarted.

Reactions: kelly528
1 - 6 of 6 Posts