Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right section?

A friend of mine had an accidental litter with her rottweiler and pit bull (if that matters). So we decided to get one of them. I asked when we'd be able to get one and she said once they're 6 weeks.

I've been reading a lot and some say that's too earlier and some say it's okay, so what is it?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Physically they are O.K. to leave their mom at 6 weeks old. Mentally they are not.

If you get the pup at 6 weeks he'll miss out on a lot of socialization and things best taught by the mom and litter mates such as bite inhibition, and appropriate play.

In some states it's actually illegal to sell 6 week old puppies for that very reason. You're friend should keep the pups till they are at least 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
38 Posts
General consensus for when puppies should leave their momma is 8 weeks of age. Reputable breeders will not release the puppies until they are at least 8 weeks old; those who do are likely wanting to cut the costs of keeping them an additional 2-3 weeks. These weeks are crucial, though. The momma teaches her pups about social ranking, compliance, and submission -- early removal is directly linked to anxious, whiny dogs who tend to develop separation anxiety and other psychological issues.

·
Registered
812 Posts
You may want to encourage your friend to hold on to the puppies until they're 8 weeks old. That way, they will be more mentally stable, and she should be able to find homes for them with greater ease.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've fostered many puppies at 6 weeks, two i have right now (pitbull/german shepherd mix) are doing really well. generally, they're okay to leave mom at 6 weeks as long as they're totally weaned. In my (non-professional) opinion, 8 weeks is a safe bet that all dogs, regardless of breed or whatever, will be ready. some will be ready before, but maybe not all. I think it's totally case-by-case, but you should be fine!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts