Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a pit bull/pointer mix and i have some concerns. We took her at 4 weeks old cause she was eating soft food and the mother wasnt nursing the litter anymore, little did i know there is more science to it then i thought. I've been reading that during the 6-8 week period they learn "bite inhition", manners etc. from both the mother and littermates. We have had her for about 4 days and she been doing well but was wondering if it would effect her later down the road taking her early. Should we take her back to her litter or is there and tips and tricks to do so she properly grows up to be a good dog. I would also like to note that she is doing very well with housebreaking her especially for her age and shes eating and drinking well, shes a very smart dog.
Thank you,
Tyler

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Hi,
I have a pit bull/pointer mix and i have some concerns. We took her at 4 weeks old cause she was eating soft food and the mother wasnt nursing the litter anymore, little did i know there is more science to it then i thought. I've been reading that during the 6-8 week period they learn "bite inhition", manners etc. from both the mother and littermates. We have had her for about 4 days and she been doing well but was wondering if it would effect her later down the road taking her early. Should we take her back to her litter or is there and tips and tricks to do so she properly grows up to be a good dog. I would also like to note that she is doing very well with housebreaking her especially for her age and shes eating and drinking well, shes a very smart dog.
Thank you,
Tyler
If you can take her back to spend another month with her mother and litter mates, do that! That is absolutely the best thing for her.

Your research is correct. Puppies should stay with their mom and littermate until at least 8 weeks of age. This isn't so they can nurse (they wean around 4-5 weeks), it's so they can socialize. Learning bite inhibition is only a part of it...She's will also learn how to interact with other dogs properly. Taking her this early could definitely affect her later on in life. She might be ok, but it could be a big challenge and you might end up with a dog that doesn't know how to deal with other dogs.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I would really try to persuade the litter's owner to let you take her back for reason's TB mentioned. Four week old pups are really still baby babies; there is a lot to be gained from being with the litter and mama.

That said, my concern about the litter owner is if they let the pup go this young, a) are any other puppies still there, b) is their home clean/where and how are they keeping the puppies, c) are they willing to put the time in to handling and playing with the puppies, and d) if they have other dogs, can they keep them safely separate from the litter? Definitely go over these with them; if you get a bad vibe from them or don't trust them, pup might be better off with you. In that case, focus on keeping him at home for at least a couple more weeks, and then once he gets his first vax underway (usually about 6 weeks), enroll him in a positive/rewards based puppy class with a playtime session. Also, if you can find any other friends with puppies and known puppy-friendly/patient adults, plan some playgroups with them between the weekly puppy classes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thank you so much, she was so cute that we took her haha i should of went with my guy feeling but of course that puppy face did me in haha. Thanks again

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
One more question... Will the mother forget she was part of the litter and not take care of her?
She won't forget!

It's doubtful that she'll be nursing the pups very much at this point anyway. But she should accept the pup back and continue to teach it and play with it.

I'm glad you're taking her back :) I know it's probably hard to part with her, but you will be happy that you're doing this because she will become a better adjusted dog!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes i trust them and they play with them all the time, the house is clean. The reason i trust them is because they were concerned about a certain person getting one. This is because they knew that person had a dirty home and that they were bad people. That shows me that they care aboit the litter

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Well, then it sounds very promising that the pup will be safe/cared for with them. Taking him back would be in his best interest. And nope, mama won't forget who he is! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry i keep asking questions lol but if they dont call me back or wont accept it.. Is there any tips and tricks on how to help the pup with bite inhibition manners and so on

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know they will accecpt it back but i worried they might no answer the phone or somthing... This is just a back up question = P

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Puppies aren't that complex, it will be stoked either way, it's a puppy. It's important to be with the litter though. Lucy, my youngest, my dad got at 4 weeks, 5 days. IF you can't get the pup back with the litter, socialization with (vaccinated) dogs is incredibly important. I don't know much about bite inhibition, but with a pitbull you will want to be super careful with that since it can be a "mouthy" breed. I have a Shepherd and it took a lot of work.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
You may also want to note that even dogs with great bite inhibition can still be very mouthy as they get older and you can't 100% blame it on this. It will take a bit of training later on (plus human skin is more sensitive!). Check out the stickies on puppy hood and dog reactivity-you may need it (can be genetic not just trained fear aggression after a certain age) and some really positive early experiences will make your life a bit easier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts