Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My boyfriend and I are planning to take our 4-month-old lab mix tent camping this weekend. I'm looking for any tips from anyone who has experience with this, supply recommendations, etc.
I'm not sure if I want to attempt to bring her play-pen or just keep her on a long lead (not terribly confident in her off-leash recall as of yet; especially in a new environment.)
I'm looking forward to exposing her to water, as we live in Phoenix where there aren't many opportunities to take your dog swimming. Any tips on that front?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hi everyone. My boyfriend and I are planning to take our 4-month-old lab mix tent camping this weekend. I'm looking for any tips from anyone who has experience with this, supply recommendations, etc.
I'm not sure if I want to attempt to bring her play-pen or just keep her on a long lead (not terribly confident in her off-leash recall as of yet; especially in a new environment.)

I would take the play pen if you want to ever rest while you are away. Long lead is great for when you go into the water so you can pull the pup back. My hound went after some ducks and I did not think he was going to turn around. After that I kept him on a long lead so he could not go so far. Keep the leash on when not in the pen because once they are out of your site they are gone.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I agree you should take her pen or a crate for when you cant' watch her the entire time. Absolutely do NOT let a puppy that young off leash! She'll almost definitely get lost. So please keep her on a good leash. I don't know much other advice to give as I've never really camped but good luck!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Bring a long line and secure crate/playpen. Don't let the puppy off leash at this young of an age. Wait until she's older to trust her recall, especially in a new place. Try to keep her on leash with yall when you can, but have the crate or pen for if you need to do something without directly holding the leash and watching her. I bring tie outs for my dogs when camping, but they are only on them when I am right there watching them!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone! This was very helpful! I will definitely bring her crate, but I'm not confident in the playpen as she already tries to jump out of it at home and probably the first time she'll succeed will be when we're camping, lol.
Thanks!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Make sure whatever you attatch that leash to can't be gotten out off. Harnass, collar, whatever, just make sure it's a good fit and she can't wriggle out of it. That would be my nightmare.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Bring lots of smelly, tasty treats to reward good behaviors as well as counter-condition fear. Depending on where you are at, your dog may become unnerved by the wildlife. Some smelly treats should help with that. This is also of course a great socializing opportunity!

I love camping with my dog. He enjoys getting outside and smelling new things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts