Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read all the threads, here and elsewhere, and I've never seen this problem addressed.

We're caring for a dog who used to bite his tail so badly that the owners had to have it amputated. Problem is, only half his tail was lopped off, and he still bites what's left. He spins like a dervish until he gets it and then bites it until it's shredded and bloody. Consequently, the owners go through a ritual of bandaging the tail so he doesn't bite it off.

Has anyone heard of this? Any ideas how to treat it? We're pretty certain it's not physical, as the tail isn't itchy, painful or infected. Plus, when he's unbound and outside playing, even by himself, he doesn't attack the tail (he would have an opportunity to without humans telling him not to; you'd think if he had the freedom to do it he would -- he only does it around humans).

They've taken him to vets who can't figure it out. I believe it's psychological. He tends to do it most when he's excited (around meal times, setting off for walks, etc.). We ensure we are always in a quiet, calm state when we feed and walk him, but all to no avail.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Dawn. I just spent an hour perusing the site, very helpful. Don't know why I didn't think of that one before. Maybe I just figured it was for people only, but there's lots of helpful, useful info on there. The dog's problem I'm trying to alleviate isn't covered exactly, but there are some good starting points for sure. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I've read all the threads, here and elsewhere, and I've never seen this problem addressed.

We're caring for a dog who used to bite his tail so badly that the owners had to have it amputated. Problem is, only half his tail was lopped off, and he still bites what's left. He spins like a dervish until he gets it and then bites it until it's shredded and bloody. Consequently, the owners go through a ritual of bandaging the tail so he doesn't bite it off.

Has anyone heard of this? Any ideas how to treat it? We're pretty certain it's not physical, as the tail isn't itchy, painful or infected. Plus, when he's unbound and outside playing, even by himself, he doesn't attack the tail (he would have an opportunity to without humans telling him not to; you'd think if he had the freedom to do it he would -- he only does it around humans).

They've taken him to vets who can't figure it out. I believe it's psychological. He tends to do it most when he's excited (around meal times, setting off for walks, etc.). We ensure we are always in a quiet, calm state when we feed and walk him, but all to no avail.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Hi Homer000 - did you ever figure out what was causing your dog to bite his tail? I recently rescued a dog that is doing this same exact thing. Appreciate any advice about how you managed, or hopefully resolved, this issue.
Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.