Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in "gear" but I decided on this.

Tyrion has very thin hair, "cotton candy hair" as my mother refers to it. It's so thin and light that you can actually see most of his skin through it on his body. He has a rolled leather collar that we got so it doesn't tangle his hair. He only has one tag with his name and my mom's number on his collar, as we don't want him to be without one. But recently it's begun irritating his chest, wearing away the hair and causing a bit of an irritation. Does anyone else have this problems? Is there a kind of tag that does this less? Or should we just remove his collar when he's inside?

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Perhaps try a tag that is actually attached to his collar? I recently saw rolled collars with tags attached at collardirect on etsy. Not sure if you can get just the tag.

Or a collar with info embroidered or stamped on it. All of my crew now has leather collars with names and phone number stamped right into the leather for everyday wear. I haves tags on locking mini s-biners and normally clip to the collar only when out and about. The collars have been holding up really well and were affordable. Got them from pitkaleather, also on etsy.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
880 Posts
Perhaps try a tag that is actually attached to his collar? I recently saw rolled collars with tags attached at collardirect on etsy. Not sure if you can get just the tag.

Or a collar with info embroidered or stamped on it. All of my crew now has leather collars with names and phone number stamped right into the leather for everyday wear. I haves tags on locking mini s-biners and normally clip to the collar only when out and about. The collars have been holding up really well and were affordable. Got them from pitkaleather, also on etsy.
Posted via Mobile Device
I so did not need to see more beautiful and enticing dog gear and collars. I have zero excuse to buy anything but a tag for my soon to arrive new dog. I have a closet full of dog stuff accumulated through owning three different dogs, but those etsy shops sure are tempting me into spending money on things I don't need. :rolleyes:

I do like the idea of tags secured to the collar. I've never liked the jingle sound either, and if I don't like it, I wonder how the dog feels about it. I may try just keeping them taped together this time around. But sound sensitivity is something to think about too.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
442 Posts
Boomerang tags makes "collar tags" that slide onto the collar, so no hanging tag. I will say though that I have one on my parents' cat, and his fur has worn around the neck where the collar sits in a wider area than with just the collar. I've heard of a lot of people who use them though, and not much of that being a problem (it could be because his collar is more snug than most dog collars). There are also little tag holder pouches that hook onto the collar that you could put his tags in, though if he needs a rolled collar to prevent matting/wear, that might be no good. Maybe try putting the collar through the ring of the tag itself? Or hook the tag to a small o-ring and thread the collar through that? I've done that when my little dogs' collars were being changed frequently, and they didn't experience any hair loss from it.

He may also have a sensitivity to something in the tag (nickel?), maybe a plastic or brass tag would be better for him, but they wear more quickly than SS. The embroidered collar idea is a good one :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Reactions: Artdog

·
Registered
880 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
You are evil. I so did not need to see yet more cool dog stuff! ;)
And soon to be mine dog will need a new tag, this gives me an excuse to pair it with a new collar.
They are gorgeous, aren't they? I am thinking Trucker might need one too :ponder::p

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! Ill definitely show my mom those other collars and see what she thinks. I do know she...uh, indulges with Tyrion's apparel sometimes. I've lost count but he has about 6 t shirts, a bomber jacket, fleece sweater, a weird brown one, a blue knitted sweater, a raincoat, a red jacket, a biker jacket, a snowsuit (that thank god hasn't been in use yet), a Christmas elf costume, and probably some others I've forgotten! ...And I'll admit I just got him a new sweatshirt that was on clearance at Petsmart.

I guess it's just disappointing because the tag I got him was a special order with the Lannister Lion (Tyrion's family) on it from Game of Thrones. You can sort of see it in this picture. Here's some pictures of some of his outfits too if anyone wants to see. =P I appreciate all the input!

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
That tag looks awfully far down on his chest. If you want to salvage the tag, I'd go to home depo or lowes or the like and get a much smaller connector ring. I have a very lanky 45 lbs dog and a tag that hung like that would irritate her to no end, never-mind a tiny little thing like that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think (as stated by many people) that a tag embroidered in the collar is a good idea:)

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
He looks adorable in those pics :)

Just a thought, but it could be that the tag is a bit big on him and im assuming its a little on the heaver side (not sure what its made of/thickness). It could be that he would do better with a lighter thinner tag, or one that's smaller like one of the small ones they make for cats. But I think that the tag on the collar/ embroidered tag collar is a great idea too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.