Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like it's an increasingly acceptable thing to allow dogs, especially small ones, to jump on tables for "safety" or whatever reason. Recently Nala has decided she wants to be on the table as well. Personally, I don't care if it's a dog park or not, I don't think it's okay to let your dog sit on the table.

What aggravates me even more, is that in one park the table is about 10-15 away from water access and dogs will come flying on the table dripping water all over my phone. What if they cause water damage, what if they step on it and break it? Then what? Now I have to pay for a new phone because someone else allows their dog, soaking wet, to jump all over the table? I also carry a backpack with me to carry essentials, including tennis balls and treats. I can't tell you how many times I've caught dogs rummaging through my backpack, even though it was zippered. Now I just keep my backpack on me and don't bother sitting at the tables but I refuse to allow Nala on the tables. How can I stop her other than just not going at all? What I have been doing is telling her "off" while holding onto her harness/collar and then she gets tethered for 1-5 minutes. I also use a 3 strike rule, if she does it 3 times we leave altogether. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like this is working AT ALL.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I would keep reinforcing "off" and keep her away from the tables, if you can.

Unfortunately, if she sees other dogs doing it she may continue to as well. I don't think dogs see tables as tables - so while she may keep off of your in-home table, a picnic table is just something to climb on, especially if other dogs do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts