Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
my pride and joy is my(i say mine, but really my moms she takes more care of her then me, I'm always gone.) dog precious who is a rat terrier. we live Pennsylvania and like 2 years ago i came home from a trip and my mom was crying when she saw me, turns out precious started to scratch herself way more then normal and was bleeding and one morning her eye was almost ripped out of her head. we took her to the vet and turns out she had some kind of allergy. the vet cost us literally thousands of dollars for all different test, creams, shots, and who knows what, the problem is nothing was really working just slowing it down a little. the vet said they couldn't figure out exactly what was causing the problem. well 2 years later and precious has to sleep with the "cone of shame"..only at night since thats the only time she really is left alone and not in anyone's sight. but recently she started dragging and really biting down there and all around it. it has gotten really bad now and it blown up like 3 times as big as it should be and is so red sometimes it looks ready to bleed. also it just got like a little pimple looking thing on it, that just happened the within the last week. i was wondering if maybe what used to cause her to rip her self apart might have spread down there. before it was mainly in her paws and she would scratch her eyes bad, but now that has calmed down and now its just down by her vagina. you can tell she is in pain and it really bothers her, my mother and i just don't know what to do and she recently came into a fixed budget so we cannot afford to take precious to the vet. please help someone if you can. if it has happened to your dog or just know some things that i could try that wont hurt her let me know.
if you have any questions please ask ill answer asap.
ill attach some pictures. they aren't the best but you'll get the point.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hmm. Is she outside a lot? What type of plants or grass do you have in the garden? It could be a parasite in the lawn, or insect bites.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I'm not exactly sure i will find out tho today i have to ask my mother, but she was tested parasites, lice and fleas and it turned out she didn't have any of them. idk if it might have changed now but before when she had the same problem but with her paws, she didn't have any of them. and another thing i always thought it might be from the grass or plants, but it is bad in the winter to, and winters here the grass and plants are completely covered, and she barley goes out besides to go to the bathroom.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hmm. I'm afraid I haven't a clue then. Though, I wonder if dogs can get thrush. It might be a simple case of that, but I'm not sure. I'm just guessing now. :(

Though, perhaps someone else here might have an idea. I'm sorry I couldn't help more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think it might be fungus. It starts at the paws, then on and around the mouth, in the eyes and lastly around their genitals. It is very difficult to eradicate but possible. It is as you say worse in winter because of the wet grass. There is a website that tells you how to handle this but apparently it takes a long time to work. Persistence however is important for your pet. I will try and find the website and post the url here for you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I found this which I had saved 'in case'.
Ways to Control Yeast / Fungus Overgrowth
Treatment: External Problems
Bathe: Use a sulfur-based or medicated shampoo for fungus, one with Ketoconazole - KetoChlor Shampoo by VirBac - have your vet order it for you.
Then use a Baking Soda rinse after shampooing, it will be quite helpful with the overall itchiness, skin problems and inflammation.
BAKING SODA RINSE RECIPE
Mix two (2) teaspoons of BAKING SODA per gallon of warm water; make sure to mix it so it completely dissolves - pour over pet - do not rinse off.

After bathing and animal is dry: Prepare a 2 % solution of Oxy-Drops (Mix 1 teaspoon with 1 cup (8ozs.) of distilled water). Use this to spray or wipe skin, ears, and feet with to prevent secondary bacterial infection. (order below). Some people report wiping areas with Listerine stops itching.

I couldn't find the original website but here is one I found that has a similar treatment.
Candida Albicans - Is This The Root of Many Allergies and Bloat/Torsion

Good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Poor little thing. It must drive her mad! You have to be persistent with the treatment though. I understand it takes sometime before it gets better. Let us know how you go.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
yea please keep us up to date on her. i was going to say it could be some sort of dog yeast infection, I always worry about my girls when we are on walks and they go pee because girls squat and boys dont, so the touching of ground I am sure can cause some kind of infection. Hope she gets better poor thing

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
also if its not gone within the next couple of days or at least looking better I would get in her somewhere to see a vet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i will keep everyone posted. I'm trying to get her to the vet asap. its so hard with this fixed budget. I'm literally trying to sell things i don't need via eBay and craigslist just to make money for my precious. she means everything to me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Call a vet and explain the situation. Most vets will organise a payment plan with you if you are a client there. Better to do that than make your poor dog wait for you to sell stuff.. vet bills aren't one of those annoying things you can put off til later.. they concern your dog and you need to do what's right for her. A vet, regardless of cost, is more use than a forum.

Sorry for the lecture but that sort of thing really grinds my gears haha.. I hope your dog gets better though

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
peter griffin haha. yea well after i try this I'm def going to take her to vet if it doesn't work. regardless of the money situation.

·
Registered
193 Posts
How about food allergies - it could be something that she is eating?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
boxlove - yeah that was a thought a but my mom switched up her food 3 times since its originally started with her paws and stuff.

criosphynx- thanks, i seriously do w.e i can for her. im 19 and anytime i have money it goes rigth on her, we got her when i was 11, actually on 9/11/01 and my mom has treated precious with the same love she has for me, if not better haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update: its only been what a day?
and already the redness is going away its almost back to her original color.
i have been doing exactly what you posted mimi. so thank you a lot. i was with her all day today and she hasn't really been biting or licking at it. i did notice when i let her out, after she went to the bathroom when she scooted(which she has always done since she was little after going) on the grass and came back inside it was red and got way more swollen. the redness is now almost gone but the swolleness has only dropped a little. i am trying to post pics but there is something wrong with my camera. i will update again, and hopefully have the pics up asap. once again i thank eveyone for your help, it is greatly appreciated, and precious thanks you :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Niko - I joined this after reading your post about red, swollen, itchy vaginal area...my dog has this and I'm pretty sure it's a yeast infection. It seemed that someone suggested something to you that was working...but I can't find the post (from Mimi?) that says what to do. PLEASE can you help me???
new member - Susan49

1 - 19 of 19 Posts