Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 7 year old poodle that I took to the vet on Saturday with a swollen lymph node on her neck. Vet checked for clinical signs of infections and said it was possible that one of her molars may be on its way to becoming abscessed and put her on two antibiotics for 10 day cycle. He also said that there was a chance it could be lymphoma and that I should check for swelling in her other nodes and bring her back in if there were anymore to come up or if the swelling happened in her other node in her neck. She now has two more nodes swollen in her groin/lower abdomen that just came up yesterday. She's lethargic but still eating and drinking. She only been on antibiotics for 2 days. Her other node in her neck is beginning to swell now too. Could dental infection cause multiple nodes sequentially to enlarge in such a short period of time ? I've asked that we set up a biopsy for this Thursday and am anxious about it being lymphoma. Any advice ? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
298 Posts
This sounds a lot like lyme disease. I have lyme disease myself and the symptoms sound similar. I had swollen lymph nodes, which is an obvious lyme disease sign and I was very lathargic. Usually fall is the prime season for dear ticks. Are there any dear ticks in your area? Best option would probably be blood testing.
Hope she will be alright.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would still be quite concerned with the possibility of lymphoma.. easy to get a cytology of these nodes and be able to tell in 24 hours if reactive nodes or neoplastic (cancerous). Lyme's disease is a geographic disease… not in many areas of the US (but a really big deal in others). Never seen a positive case of Lymes here in Southern California in 28 years, though I have heard of a few.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would still be quite concerned with the possibility of lymphoma.. easy to get a cytology of these nodes and be able to tell in 24 hours if reactive nodes or neoplastic (cancerous). Lyme's disease is a geographic disease… not in many areas of the US (but a really big deal in others). Never seen a positive case of Lymes here in Southern California in 28 years, though I have heard of a few.
I am a Canadian but I happen to know that lyme disease is prominate in every state, specially by the east coast. There are up to 40,000 cases a year, most likely more, in the states alone. It has been shown that each year the amount of cases increase. To top that off, since lyme is hard to diagnose many people are sick and don't know why but much later on figure out it's lyme. The test is only 60% of the time accurate. I was one of the fortunate ones to test an obvious positive.. but the test they do misses far to many.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts