Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

We have a 4 month old goldendoodle that we've had since she was 8 weeks old. Since we've brought her home, we have had her sleep in our bedroom upstairs in her crate with a cover over it. She has done very well with this and sleeps all through the night. The past couple of days, we've gradually moved her into the second bedroom upstairs and she has also done very well. The problem we have is that she is already too big for the small crate we've been sleeping her in so we have recently gotten her a new, much bigger crate so that she grow into as she gets bigger. It has a divider so we have that put in so that it's not too big for her right now. The crate is far too big to keep in our bedroom, or really anywhere upstairs, so the only room it will be staying in is the kitchen downstairs. We tried putting her in it last night to sleep because we eventually want her sleeping in this crate downstairs. We had a cover over it, and included all of her little goodies she usually sleeps with in her other crate but she cried, howled, scratched and barked for the first 3 hours that finally the hubby couldn't stand it and brought her back upstairs in her old crate (tiny) crate. How can we help her adjust to the new crate downstairs? Will we just have to take a few sleepless nights and let her cry it out? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have a tiny home and very small bedroom. In order to accommodate having my dogs and their crates in my bedroom, I have foregone having the usual bedroom furniture. My dogs are happy and calm at night because they want to be with me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If she have been mine I'd personally let her rest wherever is going to rest for good. Fewer confusion. See if you can Allow the breeder have an aged bit of blanket for all of them to rest on prior to deciding to carry her property and set that in her mattress along with her, so that she nonetheless has the smell of her mum and siblings. A teddy or just like cuddle up with is sometimes helpful as well. If she cries Will not rush to her or she'll understand that is the way to get your interest, which you could possibly regret afterwards. A little like human babies, If they're heat, effectively fed, winded, dry and clean, allow them to cry it normally does no hurt and so they before long drift off to slumber. It really is like all animals, they prosper on routine, so type yours and stick with it as far as feasible and Pup will in a short time catch on

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I have a tiny home and very small bedroom. In order to accommodate having my dogs and their crates in my bedroom, I have foregone having the usual bedroom furniture. My dogs are happy and calm at night because they want to be with me.
I've done this. My younger pup wouldn't sleep across the room from me, so I replaced my nightstand with his crate. I think we found a piece of plywood to put on top so it was functional as a table.

You could try letting her sleep downstairs in her current crate for a few days to adjust to the new surroundings. Once she's comfortable there, you can switch to the larger crate. Alternatively, you can try using the larger crate in your second bedroom for a few days (assuming there's enough space) and help the adjustment process that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts