Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I'm halting the switch. This doesn't seem to be one of the better foods. I want a really good food and am willing to pay more for it. There are so many! I will also call our vet later to see what he recommends.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
In that line there is a good one its called Pure Vita. I think that is the family owned company that seem to care how they make their food and only make dog food. I used pure vita off and on for about 5 years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In that line there is a good one its called Pure Vita. I think that is the family owned company that seem to care how they make their food and only make dog food. I used pure vita off and on for about 5 years.
Thanks, I will take a look at that :)

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Suggestions depend a lot on what you're looking for. Are you looking for something you can buy in a pet store (Petsmart, Petco, etc), do you have access to a private pet store that might sell higher quality food? Are you willing to order online?

From all my research Orjen and Arcana are really the top foods out there. But they are pricey and rich. I feed Fromm Gold because I like that it is a family owned company that is all made in the USA, my dogs like it, and it works for their tummies.

Reactions: crazy

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I fed Nutro Ultra for a while and honestly, I have nothing but good things to say about it. My dogs did fabulous on it.

Good brands that come to mind: Earthborn, Acana, Orijen, Fromm, NOW, GO, Horizon, Open Farm, HALO, I and love and you, Instinct and Solid Gold.

Also, you may be interested in a commercial raw food, which utilizes whole foods rather than processing everything into kibble. Sojo's is one that's freeze dried, and you add water to and reconstitute. Ziwipeak is freeze dried but I think you feed as is (or add water?). There are some that come fresh and frozen like Halshan, Primal, and Vital Essentials. Or you could make your own raw diet.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
I fed Nutro Ultra for a while and honestly, I have nothing but good things to say about it. My dogs did fabulous on it.

Good brands that come to mind: Earthborn, Acana, Orijen, Fromm, NOW, GO, Horizon, Open Farm, HALO, I and love and you, Instinct and Solid Gold.

Also, you may be interested in a commercial raw food, which utilizes whole foods rather than processing everything into kibble. Sojo's is one that's freeze dried, and you add water to and reconstitute. Ziwipeak is freeze dried but I think you feed as is (or add water?). There are some that come fresh and frozen like Halshan, Primal, and Vital Essentials. Or you could make your own raw diet.
Ziwipeak you dont add water to you feed as it is and tbh Jessie wasnt too sure about it its like cardboard!

my lab is on acana and doing so well! orijen far too pricey in NZ so that was out of question.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should I wait until she is a little older? She is 10 weeks today. She is tolerating this food for now with good stool. When I added nutro ultra, even in small amounts, her stool became very soft. I am thinking that switching foods may be better after training better established. Nutrisource seems pretty close to Nutro Ultra and a decent food? for now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you were open to raw you would not be disappointed. I have fed nothing but raw since I was a kid with my Mom's dogs, and there has always been a visible difference in health/coat/energy/stools between our dogs and other people's dogs.

Since yours is a puppy I will suggest to you my puppy mash, which contains a meat (Usually turkey or chicken, but could be anything), raw egg (Shell and all), and goats milk. Usually just mixing it together is fine, if puppy has a hard time chewing I put it in the blender or food processor. Ten weeks should be old enough though.

This last puppy I got at seven weeks out of a box and I didn't give him the puppy mash, I just gave him a chicken back and let him have at it. He sat down and crunched and crunched on it. He loved it. There's so many options and it actually ends up being just the same cost if not less expensive than dry food.

The Original Top 50 BARF FAQs for Beginners - BARF: A Bones and Raw Food Diet for Dogs

Here is some resources if you are interested :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts